A catalytic converter is an important component of recent cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust gases and thus suits modern pollution specifications. Nevertheless, it is possible that it may turned out to be clogged or breakdown, in which case a change or cleaning is necessary. Today we are going to look at how to clean a catalytic converter on Opel Insignia? To get this done, to begin with, we will show you the circumstances in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Opel Insignia, then, how to carry out this cleaning to retrieve the overall performance of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Opel Insignia?
In this first part we will show you why it might be valuable to clean the catalyst of your Opel Insignia . In actual fact for some of you it may seem obvious but the majority of you do not understand how it functions and the outcomes dirty catalytic converter .
Function and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Opel Insignia
The catalytic converter of your Opel Insignia has the objective to eliminate harmful exhaust gases related to the process of your engine unit. In actual fact, it is one of the main elements that fight against the pollution discharged by your Opel Insignia. It will convert these harmful gases into water or nonpolluting gases. In order to convert these gases, the catalyst of your Opel Insignia a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is consequently necessary to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Opel Insignia. If you are considering making adequately long journeys to heat it up regularly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will allow you to optimise the life of this element and preserve ideal engine unit performance.
Outcomes of a dirty or defective catalytic converter on Opel Insignia
We will now discover what can be the outcomes of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Opel Insignia . This will allow you to discover the manifestations that should notify you to a malfunction of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a defective catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Opel Insignia is blocked: As we stated above, if you make too short journeys like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start working and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust gases.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Opel Insignia may come on, do not hesitate to consult our content page to identify how to switch it off.
- A defective lambda sensor : The catalyst functions in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will review the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will more often than not as well have complications.
- A metallic noise coming from the exhaust: In case the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which means that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Opel Insignia
Before we end with the step you are likely most keen on, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Opel Insignia? We will show you why it might be relevant for you to execute this cleaning. In actual fact, a catalytic converter is a very expensive component (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can fluctuate depending to the engines). In addition to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last benefit is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it regularly will save you a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Opel Insignia?
Finally here is the step that you are likely most enthusiastic about in this content page, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Opel Insignia? Know that this process is very basic, and that there are two approaches to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Opel Insignia on a regular basis: This strategy is especially valuable for people who principally do short trips . To do this, nothing could be less difficult, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to optimize the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can locate some in a motor vehicle center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel straight in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go regularly at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to check that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the procedure. You can execute this procedure every 15 000km.
If you have any further questions about the Opel Insignia, do not hesitate to consult our Opel Insignia category.