A catalytic converter is an essential component of recent cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust fumes and thus matches modern pollution standards. However, it is possible that it may turned out to be clogged or malfunction, in which circumstance a change or cleaning is fundamental. Today we are going to check out how to clean a catalytic converter on Hyundai Genesis? To get this done, to begin with, we will explain the scenarios in which it may be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Hyundai Genesis, then, how to perform this cleaning to recover the overall performance of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Hyundai Genesis?
In this first part we will explain why it may be valuable to clean the catalyst of your Hyundai Genesis . In truth for some of you it might seem logical but most of you do not know how it works and the consequences dirty catalytic converter .
Purpose and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Hyundai Genesis
The catalytic converter of your Hyundai Genesis has the goal to eliminate harmful exhaust fumes related to the operation of your engine. In truth, it is one of the most important elements that fight against the pollution discharged by your Hyundai Genesis. It will convert these harmful gases into water or non-polluting fumes. In order to convert these gases, the catalyst of your Hyundai Genesis a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is consequently necessary to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Hyundai Genesis. If you are thinking of making adequately long travels to heat it up regularly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimize the life of this part and maintain best engine efficiency.
Results of a dirty or defective catalytic converter on Hyundai Genesis
We will now see what can be the consequences of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Hyundai Genesis . This will enable you to identify the symptoms that should alarm you to a failure of your catalytic converter, here is the list of symptoms of a defective catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Hyundai Genesis is clogged: As we stated earlier, if you make too short journeys like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start functioning and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust fumes.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Hyundai Genesis may come on, do not think twice to seek advice from our article to identify how to switch it off.
- A defective lambda sensor : The catalyst works in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will review the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will more often than not also have problems.
- A metallic noise coming from the exhaust: In case the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which suggests that that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Hyundai Genesis
Before we finish with the step you are likely most keen on, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Hyundai Genesis? We will explain why it may be important for you to carry out this cleaning. In truth, a catalytic converter is a very expensive component (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can fluctuate according to the engines). In addition to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you may be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . At last, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it regularly will save you quite a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Hyundai Genesis?
Finally here is the stage that you are most likely most interested in in this content page, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Hyundai Genesis? Know that this process is very basic, and that there are two methods to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Hyundai Genesis regularly: This approach is especially useful for people who principally do short trips . To do so, nothing could be easier, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to enhance the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can discover some in a motor vehicle center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go regularly at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to check that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the process. You can carry out this process every 15 000km.
Whenever you have any further questions about the Hyundai Genesis, do not hesitate to consult our Hyundai Genesis category.