A catalytic converter is a vital component of modern cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust fumes and thus meets modern pollution specifications. Nevertheless, it is possible that it may turned out to be clogged or breakdown, in which case a replace or cleaning is essential. Today we are going to check out how to clean a catalytic converter on Fiat 500X? To get this done, to begin with, we will describe the scenarios in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Fiat 500X, then, how to conduct this cleaning to retrieve the performance of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Fiat 500X?
In this first section we will show you why it might be necessary to clean the catalyst of your Fiat 500X . Obviously for some of you it may seem logical but most of you do not know how it functions and the outcomes dirty catalytic converter .
Function and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Fiat 500X
The catalytic converter of your Fiat 500X has the task to eliminate harmful exhaust fumes related to the operation of your engine unit. Obviously, it is one of the main components that fight against the pollution discharged by your Fiat 500X. It will convert these harmful gases into water or non-polluting fumes. In order to convert these gases, the catalyst of your Fiat 500X a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is consequently essential to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Fiat 500X. If you are thinking of making adequately long journeys to heat it up frequently (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimise the life of this part and preserve ideal engine unit efficiency.
Consequences of a dirty or defective catalytic converter on Fiat 500X
We will now find out what can be the outcomes of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Fiat 500X . This will enable you to identify the symptoms that should alarm you to a malfunction of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a defective catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Fiat 500X is blocked: As we stated above, if you make too short trips like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start working and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust fumes.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Fiat 500X may come on, do not think twice to consult our article to identify how to switch it off.
- A defective lambda sensor : The catalyst functions in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will analyze the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will quite often as well have problems.
- A metallic noise originating from the exhaust: In case the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which suggests that that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Fiat 500X
Before we accomplish with the step you are almost certainly most enthusiastic about, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Fiat 500X? We will show you why it might be important for you to perform this cleaning. Obviously, a catalytic converter is a very expensive component (about 500 euros with the set up, the price can fluctuate according to the engines). Furthermore to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it frequently will save you quite a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Fiat 500X?
Finally here is the step that you are most likely most enthusiastic about in this content, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Fiat 500X? Know that this process is very basic, and that there are two approaches to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Fiat 500X on a regular basis: This strategy is specifically practical for persons who mainly do short trips . To do so, nothing could be simpler, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to optimize the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can discover some in a car center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go frequently at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to examine that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the procedure. You can perform this procedure every 15 000km.
To discover more tips on the Fiat 500X, take a look at the Fiat 500X category.