A catalytic converter is an important component of recent cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust gases and thus matches modern pollution specifications. Nevertheless, it is possible that it may become clogged or breakdown, in which case a change or cleaning is important. In this article we are going to check out how to clean a catalytic converter on Citroen Xantia? To get this done, first of all, we will explain the situations in which it may be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Citroen Xantia, then, how to accomplish this cleaning to retrieve the performance of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Citroen Xantia?
In this first section we will describe why it may be valuable to clean the catalyst of your Citroen Xantia . Indeed for some of you it may seem logical but most of you do not understand how it works and the consequences dirty catalytic converter .
Function and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Citroen Xantia
The catalytic converter of your Citroen Xantia has the task to eliminate harmful exhaust gases related to the operation of your engine. Indeed, it is one of the most important elements that fight against the pollution discharged by your Citroen Xantia. It will convert these harmful gases into water or non-polluting gases. In order to convert these gases, the catalyst of your Citroen Xantia a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can only work from 400°, it is therefore important to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Citroen Xantia. If you are thinking of making sufficiently long journeys to heat it up repeatedly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimise the life of this element and maintain ideal engine overall performance.
Consequences of a dirty or defective catalytic converter on Citroen Xantia
We will now find out what can be the consequences of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Citroen Xantia . This will enable you to discover the symptoms that should notify you to a malfunction of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a defective catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Citroen Xantia is clogged: As we said earlier, if you make too short travels like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start functioning and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust gases.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Citroen Xantia may come on, do not hesitate to seek advice from our content page to find out how to switch it off.
- A defective lambda sensor : The catalyst works in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will analyze the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will generally also have problems.
- A metallic noise originating from the exhaust: In case the catalyst is dead you should hear this noise which results in that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Citroen Xantia
Before we finish with the step you are most likely most curious about, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Citroen Xantia? We will describe why it may be relevant for you to carry out this cleaning. Indeed, a catalytic converter is a very expensive component (about 500 euros with the set up, the price can fluctuate according to the engines). In addition to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you may be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . At last, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it repeatedly will save you a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Citroen Xantia?
Finally here is the stage that you are almost certainly most keen on in this content, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Citroen Xantia? Know that this process is very simple, and that there are two techniques to do it:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Citroen Xantia on a regular basis: This strategy is specifically practical for persons who specifically do short trips . To do this, nothing could be easier, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to improve the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can find some in a car center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go repeatedly at high rpm . If you can before and later on do an exhaust gas analysis to verify that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the process. You can carry out this process every 15 000km.
In the event that you have any further questions about the Citroen Xantia, do not hesitate to consult our Citroen Xantia category.