A catalytic converter is a vital part of modern cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust fumes and thus suits modern pollution standards. However, it is possible that it may become clogged or malfunction, in which case a replace or cleaning is essential. Today we are going to check out how to clean a catalytic converter on Citroen Ds4? To do this, to begin with, we will describe the situations in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Citroen Ds4, then, how to carry out this cleaning to retrieve the performance of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Citroen Ds4?
In this first part we will teach you why it might be significant to clean the catalyst of your Citroen Ds4 . In fact for some of you it might seem obvious but the majority of you do not know how it functions and the results dirty catalytic converter .
Purpose and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Citroen Ds4
The catalytic converter of your Citroen Ds4 has the function to get rid of harmful exhaust fumes associated with the process of your engine. In fact, it is one of the main parts that fight against the pollution discharged by your Citroen Ds4. It will transform these harmful gases into water or non-polluting fumes. In order to transform these gases, the catalyst of your Citroen Ds4 a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can only work from 400°, it is therefore necessary to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Citroen Ds4. If you are thinking of making adequately long travels to heat it up frequently (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will allow you to optimize the life of this part and preserve ideal engine effectiveness.
Outcomes of a dirty or faulty catalytic converter on Citroen Ds4
We will now see what can be the results of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Citroen Ds4 . This will allow you to establish the symptoms that should notify you to a failure of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a faulty catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Citroen Ds4 is blocked: As we explained above, if you make too short travels like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start functioning and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust fumes.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Citroen Ds4 may come on, do not think twice to consult our content to identify how to switch it off.
- A faulty lambda sensor : The catalyst functions in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will review the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will often times also have complications.
- A metallic noise coming from the exhaust: In case the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which results in that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Citroen Ds4
Before we end with the step you are almost certainly most keen on, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Citroen Ds4? We will teach you why it might be relevant for you to carry out this cleaning. In fact, a catalytic converter is a very expensive part (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can vary depending to the engines). Furthermore to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . At last, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it frequently will save you a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Citroen Ds4?
Finally here is the step that you are probably most enthusiastic about in this content, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Citroen Ds4? Know that this procedure is very basic, and that there are two approaches to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Citroen Ds4 frequently: This technique is especially effective for people who mainly do short trips . To do this, nothing could be less complicated, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to optimize the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can discover some in a motor vehicle center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel straight in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go frequently at high rpm . If you can before and later on do an exhaust gas analysis to check that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the procedure. You can carry out this procedure every 15 000km.
If you want more tutorials on the Citroen Ds4, go to our Citroen Ds4 category.