A catalytic converter is an essential part of recent cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust fumes and thus suits modern pollution standards. However, it is possible that it may turned out to be clogged or malfunction, in which circumstance a replace or cleaning is fundamental. In this article we are going to check out how to clean a catalytic converter on Chevrolet Silverado? To achieve this, to begin with, we will show you the circumstances in which it may be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Silverado, then, how to perform this cleaning to retrieve the efficiency of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Silverado?
In this first section we will show you why it may be important to clean the catalyst of your Chevrolet Silverado . In truth for some of you it may seem obvious but most of you do not understand how it works and the outcomes dirty catalytic converter .
Purpose and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Chevrolet Silverado
The catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Silverado has the goal to get rid of harmful exhaust fumes related to the operation of your engine. In truth, it is one of the main elements that fight against the pollution discharged by your Chevrolet Silverado. It will convert these harmful gases into water or nonpolluting fumes. In order to convert these gases, the catalyst of your Chevrolet Silverado a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is therefore essential to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Silverado. If you are considering making enough long travels to heat it up regularly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will allow you to optimize the life of this part and keep ideal engine overall performance.
Results of a dirty or faulty catalytic converter on Chevrolet Silverado
We will now see what can be the outcomes of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Chevrolet Silverado . This will allow you to establish the signs of illness that should warn you to a malfunction of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a faulty catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Silverado is blocked: As we stated above, if you make too short journeys like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start working and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust fumes.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Chevrolet Silverado may come on, do not think twice to consult our content to identify how to switch it off.
- A faulty lambda sensor : The catalyst works in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will analyze the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will often also have problems.
- A metallic noise caused by the exhaust: In the event that the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which suggests that that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Silverado
Before we end with the step you are almost certainly most curious about, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Chevrolet Silverado? We will show you why it may be relevant for you to execute this cleaning. In truth, a catalytic converter is a very expensive part (about 500 euros with the set up, the price can differ according to the engines). In addition to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you may be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it regularly will save you quite a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Chevrolet Silverado?
Finally here is the stage that you are probably most interested in in this article content, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Silverado? Know that this procedure is very simple, and that there are two approaches to do it:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Chevrolet Silverado on a regular basis: This strategy is specifically valuable for persons who principally do short trips . To do so, nothing could be less complicated, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to improve the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can locate some in a car center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go regularly at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to check that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the procedure. You can execute this procedure every 15 000km.
To discover more tips on the Chevrolet Silverado, take a look at the Chevrolet Silverado category.