Some routine service actions such as changing the engine unit oil might seem evident and fundamental, while others such as changing the gearbox oil from its Toyota Avalon may seem to be less natural. Nevertheless, make no mistake, changing the gearbox is just as essential as changing the engine unit oil. This content will explain the function of the gearbox oil, then, why it is essential to replace the gearbox of your Toyota Avalon, and at last, how to replace the gearbox oil of a Toyota Avalon .
Function of gearbox oil on a Toyota Avalon
So we start our content with the function of gearbox oil on a Toyota Avalon. The objective of this short introduction is to make you understand the interest of this fluid which assures the good working of your car. The gearbox of your car has the objective to demultiply the power transferred by the engine unit and send it back to your wheels . It is made up of pinions and gears that will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds depending on the curves and the gear engaged. It will function with the help of an axle and a differential. All these parts will need to be strongly lubricate to objective correctly, limit friction and tolerate the high temperatures built by the engine unit and friction. Your transmission oil has a high viscosity and will prevent the formation of filings or gear breakage, so it is important to the correct functioning of the gearbox.
Why replacing the gearbox oil from a Toyota Avalon?
Now we’ll find out what’s the point of draining the gearbox oil of your Toyota Avalon?
Interest of gearbox oil changing Toyota Avalon
There are some interests to replace the gearbox of your car repeatedly, we will list them and outline them below:
- Over time, the oil will lose its viscosity due to friction and temperature rise, which will result in less lubrication of the gears and pinions and therefore risk to break some of them.
- Same as viscosity, time and temperature rise will decrease the oil resistance to the engine unit temperature, So it will fluidize much more easily when the engine heats up, which is not good for your gearbox.
- Accumulation of metallic residues: Finally, even if you always have a quality oil, a gearbox is an component that wears out and creates iron filings with friction, the oil will pick them up and if it builds up too much these residues can get into gears and break them.
When to do the gearbox oil replace on a Toyota Avalon?
Whether you want to do an automatic or manual gearbox oil change on Toyota Avalon or strong> the process is not similar, nevertheless, dealers do not give mileage suggestions to replace the oil in your gearbox, however when you do an intervention on the gearbox it is wise to replace it, otherwise here are the reasons to make you take into consideration doing this oil replace.
Oil replace for manual gearbox Toyota Avalon
- Gears are jumping: you are likely missing oil and you may possibly have a gearbox oil leak, please find out our content page on gearbox leaks on Toyota Avalon for more information.
- The gearbox cracks when you switch gears: The oil has absolutely lost viscosity and is too fluid, so the gears get stuck.
- Difficulty to shift gears: Same problem as just before, the oil is obviously too fluid.
Automatic gearbox oil replace
- A slow start from the neutral position to the first one: often a viscosity problem.
- Difficulty or even impossibility to shift gears: Lack of oil
How to replace gearbox oil of a Toyota Avalon?
At last, to finish this content page, we will explain you how to empty the gearbox oil of your Toyota Avalon , it’s less difficult than you might believe, here are the few guidelines to follow to do it correctly:
- Heat your Toyota Avalon for about 10 minutes to get a fluid oil, place it flat on 4 stands.
- Install a drain pan under the drain plug, open it, and clean it well because it will likely collect filings.
- Let all the oil run out until it’s all gone.
- Replace and tighten the cap, then fill with a syringe through the filler cap with the manufacturer’s recommended dose
If you need more tutorials on the Toyota Avalon, go to our Toyota Avalon category.