Some maintenance actions such as changing the engine unit oil may seem evident and important, although others such as changing the gearbox oil from its Tesla Model X may seem less natural. Nevertheless, produce no mistake, changing the gearbox is just as important as changing the engine unit oil. This guideline will describe the role of the gearbox oil, then, why it is essential to replace the gearbox of your Tesla Model X, and finally, how to replace the gearbox oil of a Tesla Model X .
Purpose of gearbox oil on a Tesla Model X
So we begin our guideline with the role of gearbox oil on a Tesla Model X. The objective of this short introduction is to produce you understand the interest of this fluid which ensures the good performance of your motor vehicle. The gearbox of your car has the objective to demultiply the power transferred by the engine unit and send it back to your wheels . It is done up of pinions and gears that will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds depending on the curves and the gear engaged. It will operate with the help of an axle and a differential. All these parts will need to be strongly lubricate to action properly, limit friction and tolerate the high temperatures produced by the engine unit and friction. Your transmission oil has a high viscosity and will prevent the formation of filings or gear breakage, so it is necessary to the proper performing of the gearbox.
Why changing the gearbox oil from a Tesla Model X?
Now we’ll see what’s the point of draining the gearbox oil of your Tesla Model X?
Benefit of gearbox oil changing Tesla Model X
There are several concerns to replace the gearbox of your motor vehicle frequently, we will list them and detail them below:
- After a while, the oil will lose its viscosity because of friction and temperature rise, which will lead to less lubrication of the gears and pinions and therefore risk to break some of them.
- Same as viscosity, time and temperature rise will reduce the oil resistance to the engine unit temperature, So it will fluidize much more easily when the engine heats up, which is not good for your gearbox.
- Accumulation of metallic residues: Finally, even if you always have a quality oil, a gearbox is an component that wears out and creates iron filings with friction, the oil will pick them up and if it builds up too much these residues can get into gears and break them.
When to do the gearbox oil replace on a Tesla Model X?
If you want to do an automatic or manual gearbox oil change on Tesla Model X or strong> the procedure is not similar, nevertheless, dealers do not give mileage suggestions to replace the oil in your gearbox, nevertheless when you do an intervention on the gearbox it is advisable to replace it, otherwise here are the reasons to produce you think about doing this oil replace.
Oil replace for manual gearbox Tesla Model X
- Gears are jumping: you are likely missing oil and you may possibly have a gearbox oil leak, please see our content page on gearbox leaks on Tesla Model X for more information.
- The gearbox cracks when you change gears: The oil has undoubtedly lost viscosity and is too fluid, so the gears get stuck.
- Difficulty to shift gears: Same problem as just before, the oil is most certainly too fluid.
Automatic gearbox oil replace
- A slow begin from the neutral position to the first one: often a viscosity problem.
- Difficulty or even impossibility to shift gears: Lack of oil
How to replace gearbox oil of a Tesla Model X?
Finally, to end this content page, we will describe you how to empty the gearbox oil of your Tesla Model X , it’s less difficult than you might believe, here are the few guidelines to stick to to do it properly:
- Heat your Tesla Model X for about 10 minutes to get a fluid oil, place it flat on 4 stands.
- Install a drain pan under the drain plug, open it, and clean it well because it will likely gather filings.
- Let all the oil run out until it’s all gone.
- Change and tighten the cap, then fill with a syringe through the filler cap with the manufacturer’s suggested dose
To get more tips on the Tesla Model X, take a look at the Tesla Model X category.