Some maintenance actions such as changing the engine oil may seem evident and essential, while others such as changing the gearbox oil from its Dodge Avenger may seem to be less automatic. However, make no mistake, changing the gearbox is just as essential as changing the engine oil. This guideline will show you the function of the gearbox oil, then, why it is essential to change the gearbox of your Dodge Avenger, and finally, how to change the gearbox oil of a Dodge Avenger .
Function of gearbox oil on a Dodge Avenger
So we begin our guideline with the function of gearbox oil on a Dodge Avenger. The objective of this short introduction is to make you understand the benefit of this fluid which guarantees the good functioning of your car. The gearbox of your car has the mission to demultiply the power transmitted by the engine and send it back to your wheels . It is made up of pinions and gears that will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds depending on the curves and the gear engaged. It will function with the help of an axle and a differential. All these parts will need to be strongly lubricate to objective properly, limit friction and tolerate the high temperatures built by the engine and friction. Your transmission oil has a high viscosity and will prevent the formation of filings or gear breakage, so it is necessary to the proper working of the gearbox.
Why replacing the gearbox oil from a Dodge Avenger?
Now we’ll find out what’s the point of draining the gearbox oil of your Dodge Avenger?
Benefit of gearbox oil changing Dodge Avenger
There are some interests to change the gearbox of your car repeatedly, we will list them and outline them below:
- With time, the oil will lose its viscosity caused by friction and temperature rise, which will cause less lubrication of the gears and pinions and therefore risk to break some of them.
- Same as viscosity, time and temperature rise will decrease the oil resistance to the engine temperature, So it will fluidize much more easily when the engine heats up, which is not good for your gearbox.
- Accumulation of metallic residues: Finally, regardless if you always have a quality oil, a gearbox is an element that wears out and creates iron filings with friction, the oil will pick them up and if it accumulates too much these residues can get into gears and break them.
When to do the gearbox oil change on a Dodge Avenger?
Whether you want to do an automatic or manual gearbox oil change on Dodge Avenger or strong> the process is not the same, however, dealers do not give mileage suggestions to change the oil in your gearbox, on the other hand when you do an intervention on the gearbox it is beneficial to change it, in any other case here are the factors to make you think about doing this oil change.
Oil change for manual gearbox Dodge Avenger
- Gears are jumping: you are most likely missing oil and you may have a gearbox oil leak, please find out our article on gearbox leaks on Dodge Avenger for more info.
- The gearbox cracks when you switch gears: The oil has certainly lost viscosity and is too fluid, so the gears get stuck.
- Difficulty to shift gears: Same problem as just before, the oil is absolutely too fluid.
Automatic gearbox oil change
- A slow begin from the neutral position to the first one: often a viscosity problem.
- Difficulty or even impossibility to shift gears: Lack of oil
How to change gearbox oil of a Dodge Avenger?
At last, to conclude this article, we will show you you how to empty the gearbox oil of your Dodge Avenger , it’s much easier than you might presume, here are the few actions to follow to do it properly:
- Heat your Dodge Avenger for about 10 minutes to get a fluid oil, place it flat on 4 stands.
- Install a drain pan under the drain plug, open it, and clean it well because it will most likely gather filings.
- Let all the oil run out until it’s all gone.
- Replace and tighten the cap, then fill with a syringe through the filler cap with the manufacturer’s suggested dose
In the event that you have any further questions about the Dodge Avenger, do not hesitate to consult our Dodge Avenger category.