Regardless whether for your own safety, for roadworthiness testing or to avoid a fine, making sure your turn signal bulbs are always operational is important. Indeed, bulbs are wearing parts that will obviously burn out after awhile and consequently need to be replaced. You’re perhaps in this article because one of your front turn signals is burnt out and you’re questioning how to change the bulb of a front turn signal on your smart fortwo, we’ve written and published this content to help you do it by yourself and not have to go to your mechanic. In a first part, we will examine controling a burnt-out front turn signal bulb on your smart fortwo and in a second part, how to change the front turn signal bulb on your car..
How to know if the front turn signal bulb on your smart fortwo is burnt out or needs to be swapped out?
When you drive your vehicle you don’t constantly have the opportunity to check all the safety equipments of your smart fortwo. Indeed, you are in many cases in a rush and tend to enter into your vehicle, make your journey and put it down instantly without taking the time to do an periodic check-up. It is therefore important to take the time to once in a while check the state of your headlights and turn signals. It’s quite possible that you have a front turn signal on your smart fortwo, but that you didn’t notice it. Here are the two simple methods to examine if a front turn signal is burnt out or if you need to change it fairly quickly:
- When you stop, turn on the ignition on your car, then alternately turn on your left and right front turn signals and get out of the car to examine that they are working.
- By listening to the sound of your blinkers. Indeed, there is an audible sign on each car that warns you of a front turn indicator bulb burnt out on your smart fortwo, you will recognise that the time between each “click” is much closer, this denotes that you will have to replace the front turn signal bulb or before. It’s up to you to check and make sure which one is burnt out by a visual examine as on the first process shown above.
You may have another bulb to change, like the one of your low beam or your position lights, don’t hesitate to consult our content articles to help you to carry out this replacement.
Changing the front turn signal bulb on your smart fortwo
Now let’s go to the most important part of this content, how to replace the front turn signal bulb of your smart fortwo? Please be aware that this procedure is really easy, you will need to access, from the inside of your bonnet, through the wheel arch, or through your bumper to your headlight unit, open it and replace the burnt out front turn signal bulb of your smart fortwo. If it is a bulb on your rear turn signal, see our special content. Nevertheless, here are the details of the actions to stick to to be able to execute this action efficiently depending on the method you wish to adopt.
Change front turn signal bulb on your smart fortwo through the bonnet:
- Open your bonnet and clear access to your headlight pods.
- Use a torx tip to open the headlight unit on your car
- Unscrew the front turn signal bulb from your car by turning it a quarter turn counterclockwise
- Replace the front flasher bulb of your smart fortwo by the new one (ensure to check if it’s an orange or transparent bulb).
- Reassemble and test that the new front turn signal bulb operates.
- Lift your car, and remove the front wheel on the side you want to operate on.
- Take out your wheel arch with a torx bit.
- Go to your headlamp block and change the front turn signal bulb on your car following the same basic steps as on the part previously seen.
- Put your smart fortwo on a jack or a candle.
- Remove the screws of the motor shoe of your car(plastic part under your motor) and your shock absorber. Be cautious with the plastic staples which can be delicate.
- Take away your headlight block and change the front turn indicator bulb of your smart fortwo following the steps seen in the parts seen previously.
- Put the whole thing back together again.
Change the front turn signal bulb of your smart fortwo through the wheel arch:
This methodology is particularly useful when you don’t have enough space in the hood to access the front turn signal on your car:
Change the front turn signal bulb of your smart fortwo through the bumper:
On some years or finishes, based on the options the only simple access you will have to change the front turn signal bulb of your car will be to pass under your front bumper, there are only a few steps that change from the full procedure, we will explain them now:
To find more tips on the smart fortwo, take a look at the smart fortwo category.