Whether for your personal safety, for roadworthiness testing or to avoid a fine, making sure your turn signal bulbs are always functional is very important. Indeed, bulbs are wearing parts that will inevitably burn out over time and therefore need to be replaced. You’re probably here because one of your front turn signals is burnt out and you’re wondering how to change the bulb of a front turn signal on your car, we’ve written this article to help you do it by yourself and not have to go to your mechanic. In a first step, we will look at the checking a burnt-out front turn signal bulb on your car and in a second step, how to change the front turn signal bulb on your car.
How to know if the front turn signal bulb on your car is burnt out or needs to be changed?
When you drive your vehicle you don’t always have the possibility to check all the safety features of your vehicle. Indeed, you are often in a hurry and tend to get into your vehicle, make your journey and put it down immediately without taking the time to do an occasional check-up. It is therefore important to take the time to occasionally check the condition of your headlights and turn signals. It’s quite possible that you have a front turn signal on your car, but that you didn’t notice it. Here are the two simple methods to check if a front turn signal is burnt out or if you need to change it quickly:
- When you stop, turn on the ignition on your car, then alternately turn on your left and right front turn signals and get out of the car to check that they are functional.
- By listening to the sound of your blinkers. Indeed, there is an audible indicator on each car that alerts you of a front turn indicator bulb burnt out on your car, you will notice that the time between each “click” is much closer, this means that you will have to change the front turn signal bulb or before. It’s up to you to check and verify which one is burnt out by a visual check as on the first technique shown above.
You may have another bulb to change, like the one of your low beam or your position lights, don’t hesitate to consult our articles to help you to realize this replacement.
Changing the front turn signal bulb on your car
Now let’s go to the most important step of this article, how to replace the front turn signal bulb of your car? Please note that this procedure is quite simple, you will need to access, from the inside of your hood, through the wheel well, or through your bumper to your headlight unit, open it and replace the burnt out front turn signal bulb of your car. If it is a bulb on your rear turn signal, see our dedicated article. However, here are the details of the steps to follow in order to perform this act correctly depending on the method you wish to adopt.
Replace front turn signal bulb on your car through the hood:
- Open your hood and clear access to your headlight pods.
- Use a torx tip to open the headlight assembly on your car
- Unscrew the front turn signal bulb from your car by turning it a quarter turn counterclockwise
- Replace the front flasher bulb of your car by the new one (be sure to check if it’s an orange or transparent bulb).
- Reassemble and test that the new front turn signal bulb works.
Replace the front turn signal bulb of your car through the wheel arch:
This technique is particularly useful when you don’t have enough space in the hood to access the front turn signal on your car:
- Lift your car, and remove the front wheel on the side you want to operate on.
- Take out your wheel well with a torx bit.
- Go to your headlamp block and change the front turn signal bulb on your car following the same steps as on the part previously seen.
Change the front turn signal bulb of your car through the bumper:
On some years or finishes, depending on the options the only simple access you will have to change the front turn signal bulb of your car will be to pass your front bumper, there are only a few steps that change from the full procedure, we will detail them now:
- Put your vehicle on a jack or a candle.
- Remove the screws of the motor shoe of your car(plastic part under your motor) and your shock absorber. Be careful with the plastic staples which can be fragile.
- Remove your headlight block and change the front turn indicator bulb of your car following the steps seen in the parts seen above.
- Put the whole thing back together again.