Newer cars need always more maintenance, nevertheless, there are some more or less crucial ones. Today, we will look into a maintenance action that is fundamental to assure your safety at the wheel of your car. Indeed, we are going to demonstrate to you how to change the brake pads of your car in a Mazda 2? For this, in a 1st step, we are going to discover why it is crucial to replace the brake pads of your car, in a second step, we are going to discover what is the technique to replace the brake pads of your Mazda 2, and finally, what is the price of this component.
For what reason changing the brake pads from my Mazda 2?
Before we discover how to change the brake pads of your car, we will commence our document by describing you what the purpose of the brake pads is, and when they should be changed.
Function of the brake pads on Mazda 2
The brake pads on an automobile have a vital task in the proper handling of your Mazda 2. Indeed, they are the ones that will assure braking performance. They are a types of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Mazda 2. These parts are consumables and consist of a lining that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of replacing them regularly to maintain best braking.
When to change the brake pads of your Mazda 2?
And now we will clarify to you how to know if you have to change the brake pads of your Mazda 2. Take note that depending on the employ you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. Indeed, if you use your brakes very often, their life expectancy will surely be reduced. We consider that, in general, the brake pads of a automobile have a longevity of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. On the other hand, there are several symptoms that should alarm you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Much longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, read our document on brake vibration on Mazda 2, to locate the cause of your issue.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these signs, do not be reluctant to examine the condition of your brake pads yourself, either by getting rid of the front wheels and examining their condition, or by going directly to a workshop.
How to change the brake pads of my Mazda 2?
We will now go forward to the section you are most focused on, how to replace the brake pads from your Mazda 2?. Below we will detail the guidelines to stick to to change the brake pads of your car accurately:
- Buy brake pads designed to your Mazda 2, to perform this use your car registration to be sure of suitability with your automobile when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being cautious to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Take out the wheels in question.
- Before getting rid of the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to completely push the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- In general, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to replace the brake pads of your car and thus be able to remove the brake calipers from it.
- Once you take out the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely take out the two old pads and replace them with the brand-new brake pads.
- Make sure they are in the ideal placement before you re-install the brake calipers on your Mazda 2.
- Make sure you finish locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, take into account that brake pads need a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very carefully the first 100km and take care until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to replace the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Mazda 2?
Finally, last section of our document on the procedure to replace the brake pads of your Mazda 2. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. Depending on the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also fluctuate, nevertheless, most of the time it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specialized online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The advantage of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a workshop or specialized shops you should be able to get the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
If you have any additional questions about the Mazda 2, do not hesitate to consult our Mazda 2 category.