Newer cars require always more maintenance, nevertheless, there are some more or less essential ones. In this article content, we will look into a maintenance action that is needed to guarantee your safety at the wheel of your car. In fact, we are gonna demonstrate to you how to change the brake pads of your car in a Honda Insight? For this, in a 1st step, we are going to find out why it is essential to change the brake pads of your car, in a second section, we are going to find out what is the technique to change the brake pads of your Honda Insight, and to finish, what is the price of this component.
Why changing the brake pads from my Honda Insight?
Before we find out how to change the brake pads of your car, we will commence our article by explaining you what the role of the brake pads is, and when they should be changed.
Function of the brake pads on Honda Insight
The brake pads on an motor vehicle have a vital function in the proper handling of your Honda Insight. In fact, they are the ones that will guarantee braking efficiency. They are a sort of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Honda Insight. These parts are consumables and consist of a lining that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of changing them occasionally to keep best braking.
When to change the brake pads of your Honda Insight?
And now we will clarify to you how to know if you have to change the brake pads of your Honda Insight. Be aware that according to the employ you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. In fact, if you use your brakes regularly, their lifetime will inevitably be reduced. We consider that, in most cases, the brake pads of a motor vehicle have a service life of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. Nevertheless, there are certain indicators that should warn you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Much longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, read our article on brake vibration on Honda Insight, to find the cause of your trouble.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these signs, do not hesitate to verify the state of your brake pads yourself, either by removing the front wheels and examining their state, or by going directly to a mechanic.
How to change the brake pads of my Honda Insight?
We will now go forward to the section you are most intrigued by, how to change the brake pads from your Honda Insight?. Below we will describe the simple steps to stick to to change the brake pads of your car properly:
- Purchase brake pads adapted to your Honda Insight, to do this use your car registration to be sure of compatibility with your motor vehicle when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being cautious to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Take off the wheels in question.
- Before removing the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to entirely push the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- In general, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to change the brake pads of your car and thus be able to take out the brake calipers from it.
- Once you take off the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely take off the two old pads and change them with the new brake pads.
- Be sure they are in the correct spot before you re-install the brake calipers on your Honda Insight.
- Remember to finish locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, take into account that brake pads require a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very cautiously the first 100km and take care until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to change the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Honda Insight?
At last, last section of our article on the process to change the brake pads of your Honda Insight. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. Based on the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also vary, nevertheless, generally it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specific online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The benefit of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a mechanic or specialized shops you should be able to find the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
If you want more tutorials on the Honda Insight, go to our Honda Insight category.