Your car’s handbrake is actually a obligatory basic safety feature based on the highway code, in fact , this aims to stop your Volkswagen Caddy, even on a slight slope. It must be independent of the main brake controls. It will be possible that with time the wire system of the hand brake will loosen up and you will certainly not pass the technical control or you may possibly feel that it is no longer blocking your car. To address these problems, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Volkswagen Caddy . To achieve this, first we will see the adjustment of a manual handbrake on Volkswagen Caddy , then, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and lastly the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Volkswagen Caddy?
Therefore we begin our article with the hand brake adjustment of a Volkswagen Caddy in its manual version. This kind of version performs in a simple way with a system of wire and screws that allow you to manage the tension of the device and thus to modify the stroke of the lever of the handbrake. To act on it you will need to act on these types of screws in order to stretch out the handbrake cable of the Volkswagen Caddy . In any case, just before adjusting the hand brake, you must check that your back wheels are not blocked throughout the adjustment. Please find below the detailed method to carry out this kind of intervention:
- At the level of the handbrake, remove the plastic console that covers it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once completed, you should see a trapdoor in your handbrake, open it to see the screw and wire system.
- You will need to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench to allow you to replace the cable pressure.
- Now screw on the locking mechanism nuts upon both sides, make sure to make the same changes upon both sides to hold a balanced brake, and check that the hand brake handle of your Volkswagen Caddy has a stroke of about 3 notches.
- Tighten up the locknuts and check the fastening of the tires of your car, if it’s good you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten up again the tightening screws until you get a great optimal configuration
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of the Volkswagen Caddy, the adjustment will probably be exactly the same but it will be done by passing underneath your car with the level of the handbrake handle. Make sure place your car on the stand just before any actions.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my Volkswagen Caddy?
Second system of handbrake adjustment upon Volkswagen Caddy , this is an automatic handbrake, in contrast to the manual one, this method is done on the brake drums or calipers, which is expected to change automatically for the wear of the brake shoes or pads. It may be that if you rapidly have to acquire brake pads, the handbrake will lose power, listed below are the steps to consider to check if the strain of your handbrake is the appropriate one:
- Be aware that an automatic handbrake can’t be adjusted directly because it is designed to adapt alone to the wear of the pads or pads of your Volkswagen Caddy.
- You can nonetheless check that the system is working correctly simply by putting the car on the stand and looking at by driving under the auto that the disc brake pads are still in good working order.
- For drum brakes will probably be required to disassemble the tires to check the state of the shoes, all of us advise you to have it conducted by a specialist.
- Remember to change your pads if you need to.
What is the cost of adjusting the handbrake of Volkswagen Caddy by a specialist?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, especially since it fears a security component of your car, namely the adjustment of the handbrake of the Volkswagen Caddy , we counsel you to go to a repair shop that can adjust the handbrake for any about fifty local currency . In case you have problems with vibrations when braking on Volkswagen Caddy, do not hesitate to refer to our article which refers to this trouble.
If you have any further questions about the Volkswagen Caddy, do not hesitate to consult our Volkswagen Caddy category.