Your car’s handbrake is actually a required safety feature according to the highway code, in fact , it aims to end your Mini Cooper, even on a slight incline. It must be independent of the main brake controls. It will be possible that after some time the wire system of the hand brake will relax and you will certainly not pass the technical control or you may feel that it can be no longer stopping your car. To deal with these challenges, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Mini Cooper . To do this, first we will see the adjustment of your manual handbrake on Mini Cooper , then, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and lastly the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Mini Cooper?
Thus we start off our document with the hand brake adjustment of a Mini Cooper in its manual version. This version performs in a basic way with a system of wire and screws that allow you to control the tension on the device and thus to modify the stroke on the lever of the handbrake. To act on it you need to act on these kinds of screws in order to stretch out the handbrake cable of the Mini Cooper . In any case, ahead of adjusting the hand brake, you must make sure that your rear end wheels are certainly not blocked throughout the adjustment. Make sure you find below the detailed method to carry out this kind of intervention:
- On the level of the handbrake, remove the plastic console that covers it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once performed, you should see a trapdoor in your handbrake, open it to see the screw and wire system.
- You will have to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench tool to allow you to replace the cable stress.
- Now screw on the locking mechanism nuts about both sides, ensure that you make the same changes upon both sides to keep a balanced brake, and make sure that the hand brake lever of your Mini Cooper has a stroke of about three notches.
- Tighten the locknuts and check the locking of the rims of your car, if it’s good you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten up again the tightening screws until you get a great optimal configuration
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of the Mini Cooper, the adjustment will probably be precisely the same but it will be done by passing underneath your car on the level of the handbrake lever. Make sure to place your car on the stand ahead of any action.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my own Mini Cooper?
Second system of handbrake adjustment about Mini Cooper , this is an automatic handbrake, unlike the manual one, this method is done on the brake drums or perhaps calipers, which is expected to change automatically towards the wear of the brake shoes or pads. It may be that if you soon have to buy brake pads, the handbrake will lose power, listed below are the steps for taking to examine if the tension of your handbrake is the appropriate one:
- Remember that an automatic handbrake can’t be adjusted directly because it is meant to adapt by itself to the have on of the pads or shoes of your Mini Cooper.
- You can even now examine that the system is functioning properly simply by putting the car on the stand and checking by driving under the auto that the pads are still in good functioning order.
- For drum brakes will probably be required to take apart the brakes to examine your the shoes, all of us suggest you to have it completed by a professional.
- Remember to replace your pads if you need to.
What is the price of adjusting the handbrake of Mini Cooper by a professional?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, especially since it issues a security component of your car, namely the adjustment on the handbrake of the Mini Cooper , we counsel you to go to a mechanic who are able to adjust the handbrake for any about fifty euros . When you have problems with vibrations when braking on Mini Cooper, do not wait to refer to our document which relates to this trouble.
If you want more guides on the Mini Cooper, go to our Mini Cooper category.