Regardless you feel you can’t see as well after dark, regardless you feel you’re lighting too low or too high, in all of these cases, there’s only one component of your car to blame – your low beams. Despite the fact this correction may look easy to do thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a whole correction is much more complex than this common manipulation, and in this article, we will discover how to adjust the low beam lights of your Volkswagen Passat 8? For this, first we will discover why you should adjust your lights, and, secondly, how to adjust the low beam lights of your Volkswagen Passat 8.
Why adjust the low beam lights of your Volkswagen Passat 8?
So let’s commence our article with the point of adjusting the low beam lights of your Volkswagen Passat 8. For a lot of people these lights are well enough adjusted, and it looks like that they light up enough at night. Sadly this is not constantly the case and checking out this setting, either because the low beams of your Volkswagen Passat 8 are not lighting up well, or because you have the feeling that they are too low or too powerful is a wise decision .
Adjusting the low beam of your Volkswagen Passat 8 for safety is a wise decision.
To start, the adjusting of the dipped headlights of an Volkswagen Passat 8 must be done for a elementary safety purpose. It doesn’t matter if it’s for you, or for the other drivers you encounter during your night journeys. In fact, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to miss an obstacle on the route, or to predict a curve badly. On the flip side, if your lights are too powerful, you risk dazzling the people in front of you, and thus putting yourself in danger. It is as a consequence essential for others as well as for you to have an ideal setting of your parking lights.
Setting the low beam headlights of an Volkswagen Passat 8 for law reasons
Additionally to safety, there is a law that supervises the power, the adjustment of low beams of cars, here is what it specifies: have between 2 and 4 headlights that light up at least 30 meters. Another regulation supervises their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that the height of the beam must be between 500 mm and 1200 mm from the ground, and that they must be at least 600 mm apart.
How to adjust the low-beam headlamps of a Volkswagen Passat 8?
We will now move on to the section that interests you the most in this article, how to adjust the low beams of his Volkswagen Passat 8? This setting may seem a bit difficult, but if you stick to the guidelines you should be able to do it without too much difficulty.
Preparations to set the low beam of a Volkswagen Passat 8
Firstly, you will need to prepare your car to adjust your low beam lights in good conditions, here are the preparations to do:
- Place your car on a floor in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Check your tire pressure cautiously.
- Check that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Remove all needless weight from the car, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The setting of the low beam headlights of his Volkswagen Passat 8
Once your car is set up, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Make sure with a level that both parts of the cross are straight. Then back your car up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the task here are the simple steps to stick to:
- Open your bonnet, situate the screws for horizontal and vertical adjustment of the lights of your Volkswagen Passat 8 (they are almost always marked, and those above must adjust the verticality and those on the side adjusts the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or anything else to hide the light on which you are not making the manipulation.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal manipulation, you should have the most powerful part of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical adjustment, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly below.
- Once carried out, check that the low beam setting of your Volkswagen Passat 8 is consistent on the road, do not hesitate to check that it has been driven, sometimes it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Volkswagen Passat 8, please browse our article on this subject.
If you wish more guides on the Volkswagen Passat 8, go to our Volkswagen Passat 8 category.