Although air conditioning in a car is one of the most desirable product features during the summer, it can besides that bring some inconveniences. Indeed, the air conditioning in a Volkswagen Transporter 5 can have a bad smell, and today we’re going to try to enable you find out why. To achieve this, first we will examine the cause of this bad smell of air conditioning, then, in a second time, we will try to give you possibilities to make them go away.
Why does the air conditioning of my Volkswagen Transporter 5 have a smell of humidity?
So we start our article with the source of the bad smells originating from the air conditioning of your Volkswagen Transporter 5. Whether you have the impression that it is a musty smell, humidity, or other, the source of these smells is more often than not similar. Indeed, air conditioning produces a lot of humidity, which will usually tend to gather in the ventilation system of your Volkswagen Transporter 5. This humidity is the perfect base of the proliferation of bacteria and fungi of all forms in the air conditioning of your Volkswagen Transporter 5. Moreover, it is possible that smoking in your car, or not cleaning it frequently (food leftovers for example) will contribute to enhance the odors. Finally, the last classic explanation for a bad air conditioning smell in your Volkswagen Transporter 5 is that you have a refrigerant gas leak, called FREON gas, which is toxic and emits a bad smell that will spread in the passenger compartment of your car.
What can I do to get the bad smell out of my Volkswagen Transporter 5?
Now that you know where to look to find the trigger of this smell, we will try to help you to eliminate bad air conditioning odors on your Volkswagen Transporter 5, because furthermore to being annoying these odors can be harmful to your airways, it is therefore crucial to get rid of them quickly.
Eliminating an unpleasant air-conditioning odor
We will now compose a list of actions you can take to eliminate these air-conditioning odours on your Volkswagen Transporter 5:
- Nevertheless it may look evident, the dirt that amasses in your car will promote the development of germs and therefore bad odors, cleaning your Volkswagen Transporter 5 on a regular basis will allow you to eradicate many of the origins of these.
- The best treatment is to clean the whole air conditioning system of your Volkswagen Transporter 5 with antibacterial and anti-fungicidal products. To achieve this, please have a look at our article which clarifies in detail the process to follow.
- Change the cabin or pollen filter of your Volkswagen Transporter 5: This filter which aims to protect against impurities from getting into the cabin of your car must be changed every year and can store bad smells, be sure to examine its condition.
Avoid musty air-conditioning odors on Volkswagen Transporter 5
Finally, last part of our article on air conditioning smells on Volkswagen Transporter 5, we are now going to give you some recommendations to preserve your air conditioning system and avoid bad smells in your Volkswagen Transporter 5:
- Switch off the air conditioning 5/10 minutes before turning off the engine: Indeed, constantly do this step will allow you to dry a maximum of humidity in your ventilation circuit and thus limit the humidity.
- Although it sounds basic, you don’t always have time to take care of your car, but garbage is the first thing that motives bad odors, so remember to keep your car healthy.
- To be sure that the air conditioning of your Volkswagen Transporter 5 is always in good operating order (air conditioning compressor specifically), it should be run for 10 minutes every month.
- Ensure that that there is no leak on your air conditioning is fundamental, in reality, the liquid is toxic and in addition the operation of your air conditioning would be altered in the case of a leak.
If you want more tutorials on the Volkswagen Transporter 5, go to our Volkswagen Transporter 5 category.