Paying attention to your vehicle is very important nowadays, in truth, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is exactly the subject we are gonna talk about in this article, one of the signs that most perturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Mercedes Benz GLK. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Mercedes Benz GLK?.
What does the ABS light on Mercedes Benz GLK mean?
We will commence our content page with the definition of an ABS warning light on Mercedes Benz GLK, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Mercedes Benz GLK?
To start with, it is necessary to describe to you what the ABS of your Mercedes Benz GLK is employed for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Mercedes Benz GLK is composed of different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Mercedes Benz GLK
In reality, you can very easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Mercedes Benz GLK
Now we go forward to the section that you are probably more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Mercedes Benz GLK? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is defective. You should be knowledgeable that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Mercedes Benz GLK can alert:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them motives the ABS light on your Mercedes Benz GLK to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Mercedes Benz GLK: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will unavoidably turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Mercedes Benz GLK?
We will now go forward to the section where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Mercedes Benz GLK?. The answers will rely upon the failures you are having. Firstly, pass your Mercedes Benz GLK to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Mercedes Benz GLK, don’t think twice to read our article content which points out the steps to take. Once you have identified the source of your problem, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Mercedes Benz GLK:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve detected an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to resolve the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To find more tips on the Mercedes Benz GLK, take a look at the Mercedes Benz GLK category.