Paying attention to your car is imperative in these modern times, indeed, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is specifically the subject we are gonna talk about on this webpage, one of the symptoms that most perturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Honda Insight. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Honda Insight?.
What does the ABS light on Honda Insight indicate?
We will commence our article with the definition of an ABS warning light on Honda Insight, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Honda Insight?
To begin with, it is fundamental to describe to you what the ABS of your Honda Insight is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Honda Insight is made from several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Honda Insight
The fact is, you can simply come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Honda Insight
Now we proceed to the part that you are certainly more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Honda Insight? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is faulty. You should be knowledgeable that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Honda Insight can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Honda Insight to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Honda Insight: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will undoubtedly come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Honda Insight?
We will now proceed to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Honda Insight?. The solutions will depend on the failures you are enduring. Firstly, pass your Honda Insight to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Honda Insight, don’t hesitate to examine our guideline which explains the steps to take. Once you have established the source of your trouble, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Honda Insight:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve identified an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you need more tutorials on the Honda Insight, go to our Honda Insight category.