Keeping an eye on your automobile is fundamental in these modern times, in fact, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is specifically the theme we are gonna discuss on this webpage, one of the indications that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Citroen Xsara. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Citroen Xsara?.
What does the ABS light on Citroen Xsara mean?
We will start our content page with the definition of an ABS warning light on Citroen Xsara, to do this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Citroen Xsara?
To start with, it is important to explain to you what the ABS of your Citroen Xsara is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Citroen Xsara is made up of several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Citroen Xsara
In reality, you can quite easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Citroen Xsara
Now we move on to the section that you are most certainly more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Citroen Xsara? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be knowledgeable that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Citroen Xsara can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them motives the ABS light on your Citroen Xsara to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Citroen Xsara: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will undoubtedly turn on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Citroen Xsara?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Citroen Xsara?. The solutions will could depend on the failure you are experiencing. First of all, pass your Citroen Xsara to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Citroen Xsara, don’t be reluctant to examine our article content which explains the steps to take. Once you have located the source of your problem, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Citroen Xsara:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve detected an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to resolve the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you need more tutorials on the Citroen Xsara, go to our Citroen Xsara category.