Taking care of your car permanently is the best thing you can do. Although conventional routine service is designed to keep your Opel Crossland running smoothly over time, some unexpected breakdowns can add heavily to your annual motor vehicle budget. In this article we’re going to look at your sense of smell, and the clues it can give you about a possible malfunction, that’s why our team has created this article to help you in the event you notice a burnt plastic smell caused by your Opel Crossland . To help you check that it is nothing severe, first we will detail the different things that can produce a burnt plastic smell on your motor vehicle, then, in a second step, how to locate the cause of this burnt plastic smell on your Opel Crossland? .
The different possible origins and risks of smell of burnt plastic on a Opel Crossland
So we start our article content with the different possible origins of burnt plastic smell on a Opel Crossland . Generally, noticing a plastic or rubber smell is hardly ever a good indicator. In actual fact, recent cars are full of it and it could be the sign of a significant malfunction. Below we will talk about the different possible origins of burnt plastic smell:
- Transmission oil: This is the most important possible source of such an odor. In actual fact, the objective of gear or transmission oil is to lubricate the different elements of your gearbox so that all the gears and pinions are not broken, it as well has a second objective as a temperature regulator. Nevertheless, with time, the oil will lose its effectiveness and will not lubricate the parts and regulate the temperature as well, which will bring about the oil to overheat and thus give off that burnt plastic smell on your Opel Crossland. You risk pre-wearing your gearbox if you don’t take care of it.
- The accessory belt: Although rarer, it is possible with wear and tear that your belt, which is principally made of rubber, will decline and no longer rotate entirely on its axis. With the friction that this will bring about the plastic will heat up and burn out, this reaction will create a strong smell of burnt plastic or rubber in the engine unit block of your Opel Crossland.
- Defective hose wear: This case happens specifically on Opel Crossland that are starting to get a few years old or that have stayed a long time without rolling. In fact, storing your vehicle unlike what you might think will bring about the plastic parts to wear out more fairly quickly. Hoses are the first to be suffering from this phenomenon. The rubber will disintegrate little by little and with the rise in heat of the fluid that circulates in it, it may melt. The risk of this issue is the breakage of the accessory belt.
- A body component: Less common, specifically present on Opel Crossland’s that have suffered a small shock. Following a front or rear impact, wheel arches, bumpers or other plastic body parts that may have been bent may rub against one of your wheels and give off that burnt plastic smell. This may as well pre-wear out your tyres.
How to find out where the smell of burning plastic originates from on a Opel Crossland?
And now, to finish our article, we’re going to try to help you locate the source of the smell of burnt plastic on your Opel Crossland . Now that you know the different possible roots of this smell, we’ll just have to do some checks to get rid of the tracks that don’t concern you and fix your issue quickly. If your Opel Crossland smells hot, don’t hesitate to read our article on this topic.
- Transmission oil: Nothing could be less complicated, open your transmission oil cap (when cold) and check that your oil is reddish in colour and fluid enough. If you see debris inside, and it is darker, it’s time to replace it. Do not hesitate to consult our article to find out how to change the gearbox oil on a Opel Crossland.
- Accessory Belt: Visually check that your accessory belt is not in poor state, it may also make a whistling sound if it is in poor state. Do not hesitate to replace it.
- Hoses: For hoses, you will need to visually check all your hoses to see if any are frayed or melted. If this is the case, change them.
- Body parts: Last but not least, the last element that can bring about the smell of plastic or burnt rubber on your Opel Crossland, a body part, check all wheel arches, that no part rubs against
Whenever you have any further questions about the Opel Crossland, do not hesitate to consult our Opel Crossland category.