Keeping an eye on your car on a regular basis is the best thing you can do. Nevertheless standard maintenance is supposed to keep your Fiat Doblo 2 running smoothly over time, some unexpected breakdowns can add heavily to your annual car budget. Today we’re going to look at your sense of smell, and the clues it can give you about a possible breakdown, that’s why our team has created this article to help you in case you detect a burnt plastic smell originating from your Fiat Doblo 2 . To help you check that it is nothing serious, first we will detail the different things that can generate a burnt plastic smell on your car, then, in a second step, how to locate the source of this burnt plastic smell on your Fiat Doblo 2? .
The different possible sources and risks of smell of burnt plastic on a Fiat Doblo 2
So we commence our article with the different possible sources of burnt plastic smell on a Fiat Doblo 2 . In general, noticing a plastic or rubber smell is hardly ever a good sign. Obviously, recent vehicles are full of it and it could be the sign of a critical breakdown. Below we will review the different possible origins of burnt plastic smell:
- Transmission oil: This is the main possible source of such an odor. Obviously, the action of gear or transmission oil is to lubricate the different components of your gearbox so that all the gears and pinions are not broken, it also has a second action as a temperature regulator. However, over time, the oil will lose its efficiency and will not lubricate the auto parts and regulate the temperature as well, which will bring about the oil to overheat and thus give off that burnt plastic smell on your Fiat Doblo 2. You risk pre-wearing your gearbox if you don’t take care of it.
- The accessory belt: Nevertheless rarer, it is possible with wear and tear that your belt, which is principally done of rubber, will degrade and no longer rotate totally on its axis. With the friction that this will bring about the plastic will heat up and burn out, this reaction will generate a strong smell of burnt plastic or rubber in the engine unit block of your Fiat Doblo 2.
- Faulty hose wear: This case occurs especially on Fiat Doblo 2 that are starting to get a few years old or that have stayed a long time without rolling. In fact, storing your car contrary to what you might think will bring about the plastic auto parts to wear out more fairly quickly. Hoses are the first to be impacted by this phenomenon. The rubber will disintegrate little by little and with the rise in heat of the fluid that circulates in it, it may melt. The risk of this issue is the breakage of the accessory belt.
- A body component: Less basic, especially present on Fiat Doblo 2’s that have suffered a small shock. Following a front or rear impact, wheel arches, bumpers or other plastic body auto parts that may have been bent may rub against one of your wheels and give off that burnt plastic smell. This may also pre-wear out your tyres.
How to find out where the smell of burning plastic comes from on a Fiat Doblo 2?
And now, to finish our article, we’re going to try to help you locate the source of the smell of burnt plastic on your Fiat Doblo 2 . Now that you know the different possible roots of this smell, we’ll just have to do some checks to get rid of the tracks that don’t concern you and solve your issue quickly. If your Fiat Doblo 2 smells hot, don’t think twice to read our article on this topic.
- Transmission oil: Nothing could be easier, open your transmission oil cap (when cold) and check that your oil is reddish in colour and fluid enough. If you see debris inside, and it is darker, it’s time to replace it. Do not think twice to consult our article to find out how to change the gearbox oil on a Fiat Doblo 2.
- Accessory Belt: Visually check that your accessory belt is not in poor condition, it may also make a whistling sound if it is in poor condition. Do not think twice to replace it.
- Hoses: For hoses, you will need to visually check all your hoses to see if any are frayed or melted. If this is the case, replace them.
- Body auto parts: Last but not least, the last element that can bring about the smell of plastic or burnt rubber on your Fiat Doblo 2, a body component, check all wheel arches, that no component rubs against
If you have any additional questions about the Fiat Doblo 2, do not hesitate to consult our Fiat Doblo 2 category.