Keeping an eye on your car permanently is the best thing you can do. Nevertheless conventional routine service is supposed to keep your Alfa Romeo Giulietta running smoothly with time, some unforeseen breakdowns can add heavily to your annual motor vehicle budget. In this article we’re going to focus on your sense of smell, and the clues it can give you about a possible malfunction, that’s why our team has written this content page to help you in the event you notice a burnt plastic smell caused by your Alfa Romeo Giulietta . To help you check that it is nothing significant, first we will highlight the different things that can generate a burnt plastic smell on your motor vehicle, then, in a second step, how to discover the cause of this burnt plastic smell on your Alfa Romeo Giulietta? .
The different possible origins and risks of smell of burnt plastic on a Alfa Romeo Giulietta
So we begin our guideline with the different possible origins of burnt plastic smell on a Alfa Romeo Giulietta . Generally, noticing a plastic or rubber smell is hardly ever a good indicator. Indeed, modern cars are full of it and it could be the sign of a critical malfunction. Below we will talk about the different possible origins of burnt plastic smell:
- Transmission oil: This is the main possible source of such an odor. Indeed, the action of gear or transmission oil is to lubricate the different elements of your gearbox so that all the gears and pinions are not damaged, it as well has a second action as a temperature regulator. Nevertheless, in the long run, the oil will lose its efficiency and will not lubricate the parts and control the temperature as well, which will bring about the oil to overheat and thus give off that burnt plastic smell on your Alfa Romeo Giulietta. You risk pre-wearing your gearbox if you don’t take care of it.
- The accessory belt: Nevertheless rarer, it is possible with wear and tear that your belt, which is specifically done of rubber, will deteriorate and no longer rotate entirely on its axis. With the friction that this will bring about the plastic will heat up and burn out, this reaction will generate a strong smell of burnt plastic or rubber in the engine unit block of your Alfa Romeo Giulietta.
- Defective hose wear: This circumstance occurs especially on Alfa Romeo Giulietta that are starting to get a few years old or that have stayed a long time without rolling. In reality, storing your car contrary to what you might think will bring about the plastic parts to wear out more fairly quickly. Hoses are the first to be affected by this phenomenon. The rubber will disintegrate little by little and with the rise in heat of the fluid that circulates in it, it might melt. The risk of this problem is the breakage of the accessory belt.
- A body component: Less general, especially present on Alfa Romeo Giulietta’s that have suffered a small shock. Following a front or rear impact, wheel arches, bumpers or other plastic body parts that might have been bent might rub against one of your wheels and give off that burnt plastic smell. This may as well pre-wear out your tyres.
How to identify where the smell of burning plastic comes from on a Alfa Romeo Giulietta?
And now, to finish our content page, we’re going to try to help you discover the source of the smell of burnt plastic on your Alfa Romeo Giulietta . Now that you know the different possible roots of this smell, we’ll just have to do some checks to get rid of the tracks that don’t concern you and fix your problem quickly. If your Alfa Romeo Giulietta smells hot, don’t think twice to browse our content page on this topic.
- Transmission oil: Nothing could be simpler, open your transmission oil cap (when cold) and check that your oil is reddish in colour and fluid enough. If you see debris inside, and it is darker, it’s time to change it. Do not think twice to consult our content page to identify how to change the gearbox oil on a Alfa Romeo Giulietta.
- Accessory Belt: Visually check that your accessory belt is not in poor condition, it might also produce a whistling sound if it is in poor condition. Do not think twice to change it.
- Hoses: For hoses, you will need to visually check all your hoses to see if any are frayed or melted. If this is the circumstance, change them.
- Body parts: Last but not least, the last element that can bring about the smell of plastic or burnt rubber on your Alfa Romeo Giulietta, a body component, check all wheel arches, that no component rubs against
If you want more guides on the Alfa Romeo Giulietta, go to our Alfa Romeo Giulietta category.