In this post, we are going to talk about a theme that can be of use to all of us. Whether it’s because you have a flat tire, or you want to change your brake pads, knowing where the jack is on a Lexus IS is fundamental. In fact, without the jack, you won’t be able to lift your car and therefore change a wheel, or, access the components behind it such as the brake pads for example. To achieve this, we will first show you the different sort of jacks, then, where the jack is on an Lexus IS, and finally, how to use the jack on your car.
What are the different types of jacks for Lexus IS?
So we start our content with the different sort of jacks that exist. In fact, although generally most Lexus IS will be equipped with the same kind of jack, there are still different styles with different uses, here they are:
- The single-arm screw jack for Lexus IS : The first type of jack, the most traditional and cheapest of all, is generally found on entry-level models, or with few options. This kind of jack has only one articulated arm that is situated under the motor vehicle to lift it. This kind of jack is light, easy to use, but does not enable you to lift large loads.
- The double-arm screw jack for Lexus IS : It uses precisely similar principle as the jack seen earlier, that is, a worm screw that will enable screwing to raise the jack, and unscrewing to lower it, on the other hand the use of a double arm will enable to have a more stable jack that can lift a higher payload.
- The hydraulic jack for Lexus IS : This form of jack is not standard equipment on vehicles, and is usually only provided with a premium model or bought in motor vehicle centres. These jacks are heavier, generally less bulky and have the advantage of being much less difficult to employ and able to lift a larger load. It would cost between 20 and 50 euros to buy them, here is a simple and efficient model from Oscaro.
Where is the jack on Lexus IS?
We will now begin the part that definitely made you come to this post, where is the jack on a Lexus IS? It might seem basic, but depending on the motor vehicle make and model the location of the jack is not similar. Be aware that most Lexus IS vehicles are set up with a jack, if they are not you will have to find a puncture-proof spray or a compressor instead. Whether you have just bought your Lexus IS or have been loaned one, or are renting it, you may not have this information. We are going to give you the different locations of the jack on your motor vehicle, these locations may change depending on the year and the finish of your Lexus IS:
- The most general position for a jack is in the trunk of your Lexus IS. To reach it, just lift the carpet in the trunk and you should find it and the spare tire.
- In the rear wheel arch: Similar but less common position, your jack might be in your trunk, but on the side of the trunk, to reach it you just have to open the hatch in the right part of your trunk.
- Last possible location for the jack on your Lexus IS is under your motor vehicle. If you still have the spare tire you will discover it under your trunk, in most cases you will have to unscrew a nut to be able to release it and the spare tire.
How to use the jack on a Lexus IS?
Finally, we will fairly quickly show you how to use the jack on your Lexus IS. Whether it is to change your wheel or to change the brake pads of your Lexus IS, the process remains similar. This process might seem difficult, but you only need to follow a few recommendations to use your jack safely:
- Before lifting your Lexus IS, remember to engage the handbrake as well as a gear to lock your wheels.
- Unscrew the wheel nuts of the wheels you want to work on before lifting the vehicle, otherwise you risk damaging the transmission.
- Start to lift your jack (about 20 centimeters) and position it under your motor vehicle at the level of the underbody, you will in most cases discover a notch to position it in the right place.
- Raise your Lexus IS, don’t bother doing it much, if your tire comes off three inches off the ground that’s enough.
If you need more guides on the Lexus IS, go to our Lexus IS category.