When your car is running normally everything is fine, however if it begins to have frequent problems you may start to speculate, especially if your car won’t start. In this article we will show you where the starter of a Volkswagen Routan is, it will help you to solve your ignition problems. To do this, we will first illustrate the role of a starter, then, where is the starter on a Volkswagen Routan , and, at last, how to replace the starter of a car.
Role of the starter on your Volkswagen Routan
We start this article by detailing the role of the starter motor on your Volkswagen Routan. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its job will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is consisting of three most important parts:
- The Solenoid: This component is an electrical relay that will action as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your Volkswagen Routan and let the current from your battery to the engine unit of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last part of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it enables to transmit the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine unit: Most important element of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your Volkswagen Routan and create enough speed for your engine unit to start.
Where is the starter on a Volkswagen Routan?
Now that we have quickly described what a starter is and how it works, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter found on a Volkswagen Routan? It is quite easy to locate a starter, in truth, it is a large part that will almost constantly be placed in a similar location. We let you discover the two possible spots for your car starter below.
Location of the starter on classic Volkswagen Routan
First and most common circumstance, where to locate the starter of a Volkswagen Routan with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a particular objective, to start the engine unit of your car, for that, it must constantly be near the engine unit flywheel of this one because it is the part that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is found at the junction between your gearbox and your engine unit.
Location of the starter to Volkswagen Routan with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your Volkswagen Routan . This case is much less frequent. It only is about engines equipped with start and stop, and a good part of them will be equipped with a starter placed close to the flywheel. Nevertheless, on some particular series or engines, the starter of your Volkswagen Routan might be included in your alternator, it is then named a starter-alternator, to locate it nothing much easier, locate your accessory belt and you should find out the big starter block.
How to replace the starter on a Volkswagen Routan?
Finally, we’ll describe to you quite quickly how to replace the starter of a Volkswagen Routan. This process is not actually complex, it can be considered by people who have a minimum of simple mechanical expertise and adapted equipment. Adhere to below the most important steps to perform this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your Volkswagen Routan, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t think twice to seek advice from our article which explains how to do it without taking any risk.
- After finding your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine unit block, there will generally be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your Volkswagen Routan, however before doing so we recommend you to take a picture of the set up to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to take out it you may need to take out auto parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
Whenever you have any additional questions about the Volkswagen Routan, do not hesitate to consult our Volkswagen Routan category.