When your car is running normally everything is fine, nevertheless if it begins to have frequent complications you may begin to speculate, specifically if your car won’t start. In this article we will learn you where the starter of a Toyota FJ Cruiser is, it will help you to resolve your ignition complications. To achieve this, we will first explain the purpose of a starter, then, where is the starter on a Toyota FJ Cruiser , and, finally, how to replace the starter of a car.
Purpose of the starter on your Toyota FJ Cruiser
We begin this content by detailing the purpose of the starter motor on your Toyota FJ Cruiser. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its role will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is made up of three most important parts:
- The Solenoid: This part is an electrical relay that will work as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your Toyota FJ Cruiser and let the current from your battery to the engine unit of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last part of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it allows to send the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine unit: Most important element of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your Toyota FJ Cruiser and generate enough speed for your engine unit to begin.
Where is the starter on a Toyota FJ Cruiser?
Now that we have quickly described what a starter is and how it functions, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter based on a Toyota FJ Cruiser? It is quite easy to locate a starter, in fact, it is a large part that will almost constantly be positioned in a similar location. We let you see the two possible spots for your car starter below.
Location of the starter on traditional Toyota FJ Cruiser
First and most basic case, where to locate the starter of a Toyota FJ Cruiser with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a specific action, to start the engine unit of your car, for that, it must constantly be near the engine unit flywheel of this one because it is the part that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is based at the junction between your gearbox and your engine unit.
Location of the starter to Toyota FJ Cruiser with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your Toyota FJ Cruiser . This case is much less frequent. It just concerns engines fitted with start and stop, and a good part of them will be equipped with a starter positioned close to the flywheel. However, on some specific series or engines, the starter of your Toyota FJ Cruiser may be built in in your alternator, it is then known as a starter-alternator, to locate it nothing easier, locate your accessory belt and you should discover the big starter block.
How to replace the starter on a Toyota FJ Cruiser?
Finally, we’ll describe to you actually quite quickly how to replace the starter of a Toyota FJ Cruiser. This procedure is not actually complex, it can be considered by people who have a minimal of basic mechanical expertise and adapted tools. Stick to below the most important steps to carry out this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your Toyota FJ Cruiser, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t think twice to seek advice from our content which details how to do it without taking any risk.
- After finding your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine unit block, there will generally be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your Toyota FJ Cruiser, nevertheless before doing so we suggest you to take a picture of the installation to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to remove it you may need to remove auto parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
Whenever you have any further questions about the Toyota FJ Cruiser, do not hesitate to consult our Toyota FJ Cruiser category.