When your car is running normally everything is fine, nevertheless if it begins to have regular problems you may start to speculate, specifically if your car won’t start. In this article we will show you where the starter of a Toyota Camry is, it will help you to fix your ignition problems. To achieve this, we will first illustrate the function of a starter, then, where is the starter on a Toyota Camry , and, at last, how to replace the starter of a car.
Purpose of the starter on your Toyota Camry
We start this content page by explaining the function of the starter motor on your Toyota Camry. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its function will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is composed of three main parts:
- The Solenoid: This component is an electrical relay that will action as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your Toyota Camry and let the current from your battery to the engine unit of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last part of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it enables to transmit the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine unit: Main element of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your Toyota Camry and make enough speed for your engine unit to start.
Where is the starter on a Toyota Camry?
Now that we have quickly detailed what a starter is and how it works, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter based on a Toyota Camry? It is quite easy to locate a starter, indeed, it is a large part that will almost constantly be situated in a similar place. We let you discover the two possible spots for your car starter below.
Location of the starter on classic Toyota Camry
First and most basic case, where to locate the starter of a Toyota Camry with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a specific action, to start the engine unit of your car, for that, it must constantly be near the engine unit flywheel of this one because it is the part that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is based at the junction between your gearbox and your engine unit.
Location of the starter to Toyota Camry with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your Toyota Camry . This case is much less frequent. It just relates to engines equipped with start and stop, and a good part of them will be equipped with a starter situated close to the flywheel. However, on some specific series or engines, the starter of your Toyota Camry might be integrated in your alternator, it is then called a starter-alternator, to locate it nothing much easier, find your accessory belt and you should see the big starter block.
How to replace the starter on a Toyota Camry?
Finally, we’ll explain to you actually quite quickly how to replace the starter of a Toyota Camry. This process is not necessarily complex, it can be considered by people who have a lowest of basic mechanical experience and adapted tools. Follow below the main steps to carry out this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your Toyota Camry, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t think twice to consult our content page which explains how to do it without taking any risk.
- After finding your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine unit block, there will usually be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your Toyota Camry, nevertheless before doing so we suggest you to take a picture of the installation to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to remove it you may need to remove parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
If you want more tutorials on the Toyota Camry, go to our Toyota Camry category.