When your car is running normally everything is fine, however if it begins to have regular problems you might start to question, specifically if your motor vehicle won’t start. In this article we will learn you where the starter of a Opel Astra is, it will help you to resolve your ignition problems. To achieve this, we will first summarize the role of a starter, then, where is the starter on a Opel Astra , and, finally, how to change the starter of a motor vehicle.
Role of the starter on your Opel Astra
We start this article by detailing the role of the starter motor on your Opel Astra. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its role will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is built from three main parts:
- The Solenoid: This component is an electrical relay that will act as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your Opel Astra and let the current from your battery to the engine unit of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last component of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it allows to transfer the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine unit: Main component of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your Opel Astra and generate enough speed for your engine unit to start.
Where is the starter on a Opel Astra?
Now that we have quickly detailed what a starter is and how it works, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter located on a Opel Astra? It is quite easy to find a starter, in actual fact, it is a large component that will almost always be situated in a similar location. We let you discover the two possible locations for your motor vehicle starter below.
Location of the starter on traditional Opel Astra
First and most common case, where to find the starter of a Opel Astra with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a particular function, to start the engine unit of your motor vehicle, for that, it must always be near the engine unit flywheel of this one because it is the component that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is located at the junction between your gearbox and your engine unit.
Location of the starter to Opel Astra with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your Opel Astra . This case is much less frequent. It just is about engines fitted with start and stop, and a good component of them will be equipped with a starter situated close to the flywheel. Nevertheless, on some particular series or engines, the starter of your Opel Astra may be integrated in your alternator, it is then named a starter-alternator, to find it nothing easier, locate your accessory belt and you should discover the big starter block.
How to change the starter on a Opel Astra?
Finally, we’ll show you to you quite quickly how to change the starter of a Opel Astra. This process is not actually difficult, it can be considered by people who have a minimal of simple mechanical expertise and adapted tools. Stick to below the main steps to carry out this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your Opel Astra, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t hesitate to consult our article which points out how to do it without taking any risk.
- After locating your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine unit block, there will usually be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your Opel Astra, however before doing so we recommend you to take a picture of the set up to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to take out it you might need to take out auto parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
If you need more guides on the Opel Astra, go to our Opel Astra category.