When your car is running normally everything is fine, however if it starts to have frequent complications you may start to wonder, especially if your car won’t start. In this article we will learn you where the starter of a Mini Mini 3 is, it will help you to solve your ignition complications. To achieve this, we will first explain the purpose of a starter, then, where is the starter on a Mini Mini 3 , and, finally, how to change the starter of a car.
Role of the starter on your Mini Mini 3
We start this content by explaining the purpose of the starter motor on your Mini Mini 3. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its function will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is made up of three main parts:
- The Solenoid: This component is an electrical relay that will work as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your Mini Mini 3 and let the current from your battery to the engine of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last component of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it allows to transfer the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine: Main component of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your Mini Mini 3 and make enough speed for your engine to start.
Where is the starter on a Mini Mini 3?
Now that we have fairly quickly described what a starter is and how it works, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter found on a Mini Mini 3? It is quite easy to discover a starter, in fact, it is a large component that will almost constantly be situated in a similar place. We let you discover the two possible places for your car starter below.
Location of the starter on classic Mini Mini 3
First and most basic case, where to discover the starter of a Mini Mini 3 with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a specific function, to start the engine of your car, for that, it must constantly be near the engine flywheel of this one because it is the component that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is found at the junction between your gearbox and your engine.
Location of the starter to Mini Mini 3 with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your Mini Mini 3 . This case is much less frequent. It just concerns engines built with start and stop, and a good component of them will be equipped with a starter situated close to the flywheel. Nevertheless, on some specific series or engines, the starter of your Mini Mini 3 might be included in your alternator, it is then known as a starter-alternator, to discover it nothing less difficult, locate your accessory belt and you should find out the big starter block.
How to change the starter on a Mini Mini 3?
Finally, we’ll describe to you actually quite fairly quickly how to change the starter of a Mini Mini 3. This process is not necessarily complex, it can be considered by people who have a lowest of simple mechanical expertise and adapted equipment. Adhere to below the main steps to perform this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your Mini Mini 3, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t hesitate to consult our content which explains how to do it without taking any risk.
- After finding your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine block, there will generally be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your Mini Mini 3, however before doing so we recommend you to take a picture of the set up to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to remove it you may need to remove parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
If you need more guides on the Mini Mini 3, go to our Mini Mini 3 category.