When your car is running normally everything is fine, however if it begins to have regular problems you may begin to worry, especially if your car won’t start. In this post we will learn you where the starter of a Lancia Ypsilon is, it will help you to resolve your ignition problems. To do this, we will first summarize the role of a starter, then, where is the starter on a Lancia Ypsilon , and, at last, how to change the starter of a car.
Function of the starter on your Lancia Ypsilon
We begin this content by explaining the role of the starter motor on your Lancia Ypsilon. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its job will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is composed of three main parts:
- The Solenoid: This part is an electrical relay that will work as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your Lancia Ypsilon and let the current from your battery to the engine unit of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last component of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it allows to transfer the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine unit: Most important component of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your Lancia Ypsilon and create enough speed for your engine unit to begin.
Where is the starter on a Lancia Ypsilon?
Now that we have quickly detailed what a starter is and how it functions, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter located on a Lancia Ypsilon? It is quite easy to locate a starter, in actual fact, it is a large component that will almost always be situated in a similar place. We let you see the two possible spots for your car starter down below.
Location of the starter on classic Lancia Ypsilon
First and most common circumstance, where to locate the starter of a Lancia Ypsilon with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a specific objective, to start the engine unit of your car, for that, it must always be near the engine unit flywheel of this one because it is the component that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is located at the junction between your gearbox and your engine unit.
Location of the starter to Lancia Ypsilon with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your Lancia Ypsilon . This case is much less frequent. It only concerns engines built with start and stop, and a good component of them will be equipped with a starter situated close to the flywheel. However, on some specific series or engines, the starter of your Lancia Ypsilon might be built in in your alternator, it is then named a starter-alternator, to locate it nothing easier, locate your accessory belt and you should see the big starter block.
How to change the starter on a Lancia Ypsilon?
Finally, we’ll show you to you actually quite quickly how to change the starter of a Lancia Ypsilon. This procedure is not actually difficult, it can be considered by people who have a minimal of simple mechanical expertise and adapted tools. Stick to down below the main steps to perform this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your Lancia Ypsilon, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t think twice to seek advice from our content which details how to do it without taking any risk.
- After finding your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine unit block, there will generally be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your Lancia Ypsilon, however before doing so we recommend you to take a picture of the installation to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to take out it you may need to take out auto parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
To discover more tips on the Lancia Ypsilon, take a look at the Lancia Ypsilon category.