When your car is running normally everything is fine, however if it starts to have regular complications you may possibly begin to worry, specifically if your car won’t start. In this article we will show you where the starter of a Fiat 500X is, it will help you to fix your ignition complications. To get this done, we will first explain the function of a starter, then, where is the starter on a Fiat 500X , and, finally, how to replace the starter of a car.
Function of the starter on your Fiat 500X
We begin this content page by detailing the function of the starter motor on your Fiat 500X. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its role will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is consisting of three main parts:
- The Solenoid: This part is an electrical relay that will action as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your Fiat 500X and let the current from your battery to the engine unit of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last component of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it enables to send the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine unit: Most important component of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your Fiat 500X and generate enough speed for your engine unit to begin.
Where is the starter on a Fiat 500X?
Now that we have quickly explained what a starter is and how it works, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter found on a Fiat 500X? It is quite easy to locate a starter, in actual fact, it is a large component that will almost constantly be positioned in a similar place. We let you discover the two possible spots for your car starter down below.
Location of the starter on traditional Fiat 500X
First and most general case, where to locate the starter of a Fiat 500X with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a particular action, to start the engine unit of your car, for that, it must constantly be near the engine unit flywheel of this one because it is the component that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is found at the junction between your gearbox and your engine unit.
Location of the starter to Fiat 500X with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your Fiat 500X . This case is much less frequent. It just concerns engines fitted with start and stop, and a good component of them will be equipped with a starter positioned close to the flywheel. However, on some particular series or engines, the starter of your Fiat 500X may be included in your alternator, it is then called a starter-alternator, to locate it nothing much easier, identify your accessory belt and you should find out the big starter block.
How to replace the starter on a Fiat 500X?
Finally, we’ll describe to you actually quite quickly how to replace the starter of a Fiat 500X. This process is not actually difficult, it can be considered by people who have a minimum of basic mechanical expertise and adapted tools. Follow down below the main steps to perform this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your Fiat 500X, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t think twice to seek advice from our content page which details how to do it without taking any risk.
- After discovering your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine unit block, there will in most cases be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your Fiat 500X, however before doing so we recommend you to take a picture of the set up to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to remove it you may possibly need to remove auto parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
To find more tips on the Fiat 500X, take a look at the Fiat 500X category.