When your car is running normally everything is fine, nevertheless if it begins to have frequent problems you might start to speculate, especially if your motor vehicle won’t start. In this post we will teach you where the starter of a Citroen Jumpy is, it will help you to fix your ignition problems. To do this, we will first illustrate the role of a starter, then, where is the starter on a Citroen Jumpy , and, at last, how to change the starter of a motor vehicle.
Purpose of the starter on your Citroen Jumpy
We start this content page by explaining the role of the starter motor on your Citroen Jumpy. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its function will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is made up of three main parts:
- The Solenoid: This component is an electrical relay that will action as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your Citroen Jumpy and let the current from your battery to the engine unit of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last component of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it enables to transmit the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine unit: Main element of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your Citroen Jumpy and create enough speed for your engine unit to start.
Where is the starter on a Citroen Jumpy?
Now that we have quickly explained what a starter is and how it works, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter based on a Citroen Jumpy? It is quite easy to find a starter, in actual fact, it is a large component that will almost always be situated in a similar location. We let you see the two possible spots for your motor vehicle starter down below.
Location of the starter on traditional Citroen Jumpy
First and most common circumstance, where to find the starter of a Citroen Jumpy with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a particular action, to start the engine unit of your motor vehicle, for that, it must always be near the engine unit flywheel of this one because it is the component that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is based at the junction between your gearbox and your engine unit.
Location of the starter to Citroen Jumpy with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your Citroen Jumpy . This case is much less frequent. It only relates to engines fitted with start and stop, and a good component of them will be equipped with a starter situated close to the flywheel. Nevertheless, on some particular series or engines, the starter of your Citroen Jumpy might be integrated in your alternator, it is then named a starter-alternator, to find it nothing much easier, identify your accessory belt and you should discover the big starter block.
How to change the starter on a Citroen Jumpy?
Finally, we’ll explain to you actually quite quickly how to change the starter of a Citroen Jumpy. This process is not necessarily difficult, it can be considered by people who have a minimum of simple mechanical experience and adapted tools. Follow down below the main steps to perform this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your Citroen Jumpy, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t hesitate to consult our content page which explains how to do it without taking any risk.
- After finding your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine unit block, there will generally be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your Citroen Jumpy, nevertheless before doing so we suggest you to take a picture of the set up to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to take out it you might need to take out parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
If you have any additional questions about the Citroen Jumpy, do not hesitate to consult our Citroen Jumpy category.