When your car is running normally everything is fine, however if it begins to have frequent complications you might start to wonder, specifically if your motor vehicle won’t start. In this post we will learn you where the starter of a Chevrolet Malibu is, it will help you to solve your ignition complications. To get this done, we will first describe the function of a starter, then, where is the starter on a Chevrolet Malibu , and, at last, how to replace the starter of a motor vehicle.
Role of the starter on your Chevrolet Malibu
We start this article by explaining the function of the starter motor on your Chevrolet Malibu. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its purpose will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is composed of three main parts:
- The Solenoid: This part is an electrical relay that will action as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your Chevrolet Malibu and let the current from your battery to the engine of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last part of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it allows to send the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine: Main element of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your Chevrolet Malibu and create enough speed for your engine to start.
Where is the starter on a Chevrolet Malibu?
Now that we have quickly detailed what a starter is and how it works, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter based on a Chevrolet Malibu? It is quite easy to locate a starter, obviously, it is a large part that will almost always be situated in a similar place. We let you discover the two possible places for your motor vehicle starter below.
Location of the starter on traditional Chevrolet Malibu
First and most basic circumstance, where to locate the starter of a Chevrolet Malibu with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a specific action, to start the engine of your motor vehicle, for that, it must always be near the engine flywheel of this one because it is the part that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is based at the junction between your gearbox and your engine.
Location of the starter to Chevrolet Malibu with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your Chevrolet Malibu . This case is much less frequent. It just concerns engines built with start and stop, and a good part of them will be equipped with a starter situated close to the flywheel. Nevertheless, on some specific series or engines, the starter of your Chevrolet Malibu might be included in your alternator, it is then known as a starter-alternator, to locate it nothing much easier, locate your accessory belt and you should find out the big starter block.
How to replace the starter on a Chevrolet Malibu?
Finally, we’ll explain to you actually quite quickly how to replace the starter of a Chevrolet Malibu. This procedure is not actually complex, it can be considered by people who have a minimum of simple mechanical knowledge and adapted equipment. Follow below the main steps to perform this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your Chevrolet Malibu, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t think twice to seek advice from our article which details how to do it without taking any risk.
- After discovering your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine block, there will usually be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your Chevrolet Malibu, however before doing so we advise you to take a picture of the set up to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to take out it you might need to take out parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
To get more tips on the Chevrolet Malibu, take a look at the Chevrolet Malibu category.