When your car is running normally everything is fine, however if it starts to have frequent problems you may possibly start to question, specifically if your car won’t start. In this post we will teach you where the starter of a Audi A2 is, it will help you to resolve your ignition problems. To get this done, we will first describe the role of a starter, then, where is the starter on a Audi A2 , and, finally, how to change the starter of a car.
Function of the starter on your Audi A2
We start this content page by explaining the role of the starter motor on your Audi A2. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its job will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is composed of three most important parts:
- The Solenoid: This part is an electrical relay that will work as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your Audi A2 and let the current from your battery to the engine of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last component of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it enables to transfer the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine: Main element of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your Audi A2 and bring about enough speed for your engine to start.
Where is the starter on a Audi A2?
Now that we have quickly explained what a starter is and how it functions, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter located on a Audi A2? It is quite easy to discover a starter, in fact, it is a large component that will almost constantly be situated in a similar location. We let you see the two possible spots for your car starter down below.
Location of the starter on classic Audi A2
First and most common case, where to discover the starter of a Audi A2 with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a specific action, to start the engine of your car, for that, it must constantly be near the engine flywheel of this one because it is the component that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is located at the junction between your gearbox and your engine.
Location of the starter to Audi A2 with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your Audi A2 . This case is much less frequent. It only is about engines equipped with start and stop, and a good component of them will be equipped with a starter situated close to the flywheel. Nevertheless, on some specific series or engines, the starter of your Audi A2 may be built in in your alternator, it is then named a starter-alternator, to discover it nothing much easier, identify your accessory belt and you should find out the big starter block.
How to change the starter on a Audi A2?
Finally, we’ll describe to you quite quickly how to change the starter of a Audi A2. This process is not actually complex, it can be considered by people who have a minimal of simple mechanical experience and adapted tools. Adhere to down below the most important steps to carry out this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your Audi A2, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t think twice to consult our content page which details how to do it without taking any risk.
- After locating your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine block, there will in most cases be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your Audi A2, however before doing so we recommend you to take a picture of the set up to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to remove it you may possibly need to remove auto parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
To discover more tips on the Audi A2, take a look at the Audi A2 category.