The safety of a motor vehicle is important. Regardless if the Toyota Corolla are financial holes, certain routine service actions are crucial. Today we will explain to you when to change the brake discs of your Toyota Corolla? To achieve this, to begin with, we will see what the brake discs of your car are used for, then, when to change the brake discs of your Toyota Corolla, and, finally, how to change them with new ones.
Interest of the brake discs of a Toyota Corolla
We start our article content by detailing what the brake discs of a Toyota Corolla are used for, it will allow you to understand why it is important to ensure that they are always in good working order.
Brake discs are the most important part of your braking system. In fact, braking on an Toyota Corolla is hydraulic, it is a system of hoses and pressurized oil that will come into action when you press your brake pedal. This pressure will actuate a piston that will push the brake pads on your brake disc which is mounted on your wheel. When the brake pads will pinch the discs which will cause your Toyota Corolla to brake.
When to change the brake discs of a Toyota Corolla?
We will now move on to the part that undoubtedly attracts you to this article, namely, when changing the brake discs of a Toyota Corolla? How we explained it to you just before, the brake discs and pads work in osmosis, nevertheless these two components are wearing parts and they will, after some time and specifically the friction when braking wears out and loses braking power. We will now highlight the different ways to know when to change them:
- We consider that generally the brake discs should be changed every 80, 000 – 100, 000 km on a Toyota Corolla , nevertheless it is important to know that dependent on your driving style and the type of journey this can vary considerably. In fact, if you principally drive on the motorway and your brakes are just slightly used, this amount can increase, alternatively, if you just drive in built-up areas, it can decrease.
- A basic and effective technique to find out the condition of the brake discs on your motor vehicle is during the technical inspection. In fact this thorough control checks the state of your brakes and the controller will tell you if they are in good condition or need to be changed.
- A very easy visual technique to know when to change the brake discs on your Toyota Corolla is to remove the wheels after the car has been set on stands. Once taken off, you will be able to access your discs and verify their condition. If they have any big scratches or deformations you will have to change them. In any other case the second indicator to verify is to measure the depth of the disk in relation to its edge, if this value exceeds 1 mm you will have to change them by new ones.
How to change the brake discs on your Toyota Corolla?
Finally, to conclude this article we will fairly quickly explain how to change the brake discs of your Toyota Corolla. You must know that if you change the brake discs of your motor vehicle, you will absolutely have to change the brake pads of your Toyota Corolla, don’t hesitate to seek advice from our article which explains you how to make this change.
As far as changing discs is concerned, here are the most important steps to stick to:
- Put your Toyota Corolla on stands, take off the wheels you want to action on.
- Using a large flat screwdriver, pry on your brake pads to compress the caliper piston as much as possible and have enough play to make all your changes.
- Using large Torx bits, remove the two nuts that lock the upper part of your brake caliper, remove it.
- Take out your brake pads, then unlock your brake discs thanks to the two torx screws on the side of the disc, you may need a mallet to remove the discs.
- Replace the discs and tighten them with the new torx screws provided, change your pads, reassemble the upper part of the caliper and tighten everything tightly.
- Mounting your wheels, and remember to do a 500-kilometer brake break-in before braking hard.
In the event that you have any additional questions about the Toyota Corolla, do not hesitate to consult our Toyota Corolla category.