The safety of a motor vehicle is essential. Regardless if the Ram ProMaster are financial holes, certain maintenance actions are indispensable. In this article we will explain to you when to change the brake discs of your Ram ProMaster? To achieve this, first of all, we will see what the brake discs of your motor vehicle are used for, then, when to change the brake discs of your Ram ProMaster, and, finally, how to change them with new ones.
Benefit of the brake discs of a Ram ProMaster
We begin our guideline by detailing what the brake discs of a Ram ProMaster are used for, it will allow you to figure out why it is essential to ensure that that they are always in good working order.
Brake discs are the most important part of your braking system. In actual fact, braking on an Ram ProMaster is hydraulic, it is a system of hoses and pressurized oil that will come into action when you press your brake pedal. This pressure will actuate a piston that will push the brake pads on your brake disc which is placed on your wheel. When the brake pads will pinch the discs which will bring about your Ram ProMaster to brake.
When to change the brake discs of a Ram ProMaster?
We will now proceed to the section that undoubtedly attracts you to this content, namely, when changing the brake discs of a Ram ProMaster? How we described it to you just before, the brake discs and pads work in osmosis, nevertheless these two elements are wearing auto parts and they will, with time and specifically the friction when braking wears out and loses braking power. We will now highlight the different ways to know when to change them:
- We consider that generally speaking the brake discs should be changed every 80, 000 – 100, 000 km on a Ram ProMaster , nevertheless it is essential to know that dependent on your driving style and the type of journey this can vary significantly. Indeed, if you specifically drive on the motorway and your brakes are just slightly used, this amount can increase, in contrast, if you just drive in built-up areas, it can decrease.
- A simple and good method to find out the state of the brake discs on your motor vehicle is during the technical inspection. Indeed this thorough control checks the state of your brakes and the controller will tell you if they are in good state or need to be changed.
- A basic visual method to know when to change the brake discs on your Ram ProMaster is to remove the wheels after the car has been set on stands. Once taken off, you will be able to access your discs and verify their state. If they have any big scratches or deformations you will have to change them. In any other case the second indicator to check is to measure the depth of the disk in relation to its edge, if this value exceeds 1 mm you will have to change them by new ones.
How to change the brake discs on your Ram ProMaster?
Finally, to end this content we will fairly quickly show you how to change the brake discs of your Ram ProMaster. You must know that if you change the brake discs of your motor vehicle, you will absolutely have to change the brake pads of your Ram ProMaster, don’t think twice to consult our content which explains you how to make this change.
As far as changing discs is concerned, here are the most important steps to stick to:
- Put your Ram ProMaster on stands, take off the wheels you want to act on.
- Using a large flat screwdriver, pry on your brake pads to compress the caliper piston as much as possible and have enough play to produce all your changes.
- Using large Torx bits, take out the two nuts that lock the upper part of your brake caliper, take out it.
- Take out your brake pads, then unlock your brake discs thanks to the two torx screws on the side of the disc, you might need a mallet to remove the discs.
- Replace the discs and tighten them with the new torx screws provided, change your pads, reassemble the upper part of the caliper and tighten everything tightly.
- Mounting your wheels, and make sure to do a 500-kilometer brake break-in before braking hard.
In the event that you have any additional questions about the Ram ProMaster, do not hesitate to consult our Ram ProMaster category.