The safety of a motor vehicle is important. Whether or not the Mercedes Benz GLK are economic holes, certain maintenance works are indispensable. In this article we will explain to you when to change the brake discs of your Mercedes Benz GLK? To get this done, to begin with, we will see what the brake discs of your car are used for, then, when to change the brake discs of your Mercedes Benz GLK, and, finally, how to change them with new ones.
Interest of the brake discs of a Mercedes Benz GLK
We begin our content page by detailing what the brake discs of a Mercedes Benz GLK are used for, it will allow you to discover why it is necessary to be sure that they are always in good functioning order.
Brake discs are the most important part of your braking system. In truth, braking on an Mercedes Benz GLK is hydraulic, it is a system of hoses and pressurized oil that will come into action when you press your brake pedal. This pressure will actuate a piston that will push the brake pads on your brake disc which is attached to your wheel. When the brake pads will pinch the discs which will trigger your Mercedes Benz GLK to brake.
When to change the brake discs of a Mercedes Benz GLK?
We will now move on to the section that most certainly attracts you to this content page, namely, when replacing the brake discs of a Mercedes Benz GLK? How we mentioned it to you just before, the brake discs and pads work in osmosis, nevertheless these two components are wearing auto parts and they will, after some time and especially the friction when braking wears out and loses braking power. We will now outline the different techniques to know when to change them:
- We consider that generally speaking the brake discs should be changed every 80, 000 – 100, 000 km on a Mercedes Benz GLK , nevertheless it is necessary to know that depending on your driving style and the type of journey this can vary substantially. In fact, if you mainly drive on the motorway and your brakes are just slightly used, this amount can increase, in contrast, if you just drive in built-up areas, it can reduce.
- A simple and good way to find out the state of the brake discs on your motor vehicle is during the technical inspection. In fact this thorough control checks the state of your brakes and the controller will tell you if they are in good state or need to be changed.
- A simple visual way to know when to change the brake discs on your Mercedes Benz GLK is to remove the wheels after the vehicle has been set on stands. Once taken off, you will be able to access your discs and verify their state. If they have any big scratches or deformations you will have to change them. Otherwise the second indicator to check is to measure the depth of the disk in relation to its edge, if this value exceeds 1 mm you will have to change them by new ones.
How to change the brake discs on your Mercedes Benz GLK?
Finally, to conclude this content page we will quickly show you how to change the brake discs of your Mercedes Benz GLK. You must know that if you change the brake discs of your car, you will absolutely have to change the brake pads of your Mercedes Benz GLK, don’t hesitate to consult our content page which explains you how to make this change.
As far as changing discs is concerned, here are the most important steps to follow:
- Put your Mercedes Benz GLK on stands, take off the wheels you want to action on.
- Using a large flat screwdriver, pry on your brake pads to compress the caliper piston as much as possible and have enough play to make all your changes.
- Using large Torx bits, remove the two nuts that lock the upper part of your brake caliper, remove it.
- Remove your brake pads, then unlock your brake discs thanks to the two torx screws on the side of the disc, you may need a mallet to remove the discs.
- Replace the discs and tighten them with the new torx screws provided, change your pads, reassemble the upper part of the caliper and tighten everything tightly.
- Mounting your wheels, and make sure to do a 500-kilometer brake break-in before braking hard.
To find more tips on the Mercedes Benz GLK, take a look at the Mercedes Benz GLK category.