The safety of a motor vehicle is essential. Whether or not the Kia Soul are economic holes, certain maintenance actions are essential. Today we will explain to you when to change the brake discs of your Kia Soul? To do this, to begin with, we will discover what the brake discs of your motor vehicle are used for, then, when to change the brake discs of your Kia Soul, and, finally, how to change them with new ones.
Benefit of the brake discs of a Kia Soul
We start our article content by explaining what the brake discs of a Kia Soul are used for, it will enable you to figure out why it is important to make sure that they are always in good working conditions.
Brake discs are the main part of your braking system. In truth, braking on an Kia Soul is hydraulic, it is a system of hoses and pressurized oil that will come into action when you press your brake pedal. This pressure will actuate a piston that will push the brake pads on your brake disc which is placed on your wheel. When the brake pads will pinch the discs which will bring about your Kia Soul to brake.
When to change the brake discs of a Kia Soul?
We will now proceed to the section that certainly attracts you to this article, namely, when replacing the brake discs of a Kia Soul? How we mentioned it to you just before, the brake discs and pads work in osmosis, nevertheless these two elements are wearing auto parts and they will, as time passes and especially the friction when braking wears out and loses braking power. We will now outline the different methods to know when to change them:
- We consider that generally the brake discs should be changed every 80, 000 – 100, 000 km on a Kia Soul , nevertheless it is important to know that based on your driving style and the type of journey this can vary substantially. Indeed, if you mainly drive on the motorway and your brakes are only slightly used, this value can increase, conversely, if you only drive in built-up areas, it can decrease.
- A simple and good technique to find out the state of the brake discs on your motor vehicle is during the technical inspection. Indeed this thorough control checks the state of your brakes and the controller will tell you if they are in good state or need to be changed.
- A basic visual technique to know when to change the brake discs on your Kia Soul is to remove the wheels after the car has been set on stands. Once removed, you will be able to access your discs and verify their state. If they have any big scratches or deformations you will have to change them. In any other case the second indicator to verify is to measure the depth of the disk in relation to its edge, if this value exceeds 1 mm you will have to change them by new ones.
How to change the brake discs on your Kia Soul?
Finally, to conclude this article we will quickly describe how to change the brake discs of your Kia Soul. You must know that if you change the brake discs of your car, you will absolutely have to change the brake pads of your Kia Soul, don’t think twice to consult our article which exposes you how to make this change.
As far as changing discs is concerned, here are the main steps to follow:
- Put your Kia Soul on stands, take off the wheels you want to work on.
- Using a large flat screwdriver, pry on your brake pads to compress the caliper piston as much as possible and have enough play to produce all your changes.
- Using large Torx bits, take out the two nuts that lock the upper part of your brake caliper, take out it.
- Take out your brake pads, then unlock your brake discs thanks to the two torx screws on the side of the disc, you might need a mallet to remove the discs.
- Replace the discs and tighten them with the new torx screws provided, change your pads, reassemble the upper part of the caliper and tighten everything tightly.
- Mounting your wheels, and make sure to do a 500-kilometer brake break-in before braking hard.
To find more tips on the Kia Soul, take a look at the Kia Soul category.