The safety of a car is very important. Regardless if the Chevrolet Bolt are economic holes, certain routine service works are indispensable. Today we will explain to you when to replace the brake discs of your Chevrolet Bolt? To accomplish this, first of all, we will find out what the brake discs of your motor vehicle are used for, then, when to replace the brake discs of your Chevrolet Bolt, and, finally, how to change them with new ones.
Interest of the brake discs of a Chevrolet Bolt
We start our content page by explaining what the brake discs of a Chevrolet Bolt are used for, it will allow you to figure out why it is necessary to be certain that they are constantly in good functioning conditions.
Brake discs are the most important part of your braking system. In fact, braking on an Chevrolet Bolt is hydraulic, it is a system of hoses and pressurized oil that will come into action when you press your brake pedal. This pressure will actuate a piston that will push the brake pads on your brake disc which is mounted on your wheel. When the brake pads will pinch the discs which will cause your Chevrolet Bolt to brake.
When to replace the brake discs of a Chevrolet Bolt?
We will now proceed to the section that most certainly attracts you to this content, namely, when changing the brake discs of a Chevrolet Bolt? How we explained it to you just before, the brake discs and pads work in osmosis, nevertheless these two elements are wearing auto parts and they will, after some time and especially the friction when braking wears out and loses braking power. We will now highlight the different ways to know when to change them:
- We consider that generally the brake discs should be changed every 80, 000 – 100, 000 km on a Chevrolet Bolt , nevertheless it is necessary to know that dependent on your driving style and the type of journey this can change substantially. In fact, if you principally drive on the motorway and your brakes are just slightly used, this value can increase, conversely, if you just drive in built-up areas, it can decrease.
- A basic and successful method to find out the state of the brake discs on your car is during the technical inspection. In fact this thorough control checks the state of your brakes and the controller will tell you if they are in good state or need to be changed.
- A simple visual method to know when to replace the brake discs on your Chevrolet Bolt is to remove the wheels after the vehicle has been set on stands. Once taken out, you will be able to access your discs and check their state. If they have any big scratches or deformations you will have to replace them. Otherwise the second indicator to check is to measure the depth of the disk in relation to its edge, if this value exceeds 1 mm you will have to change them by new ones.
How to replace the brake discs on your Chevrolet Bolt?
Finally, to end this content we will fairly quickly explain how to replace the brake discs of your Chevrolet Bolt. You must know that if you replace the brake discs of your motor vehicle, you will absolutely have to change the brake pads of your Chevrolet Bolt, don’t think twice to consult our content which points out you how to make this replace.
As far as changing discs is concerned, here are the most important steps to stick to:
- Put your Chevrolet Bolt on stands, take off the wheels you want to action on.
- Using a large flat screwdriver, pry on your brake pads to compress the caliper piston as much as possible and have enough play to make all your changes.
- Using large Torx bits, take out the two nuts that lock the upper part of your brake caliper, take out it.
- Take out your brake pads, then unlock your brake discs thanks to the two torx screws on the side of the disc, you may possibly need a mallet to remove the discs.
- Replace the discs and tighten them with the new torx screws provided, replace your pads, reassemble the upper part of the caliper and tighten everything tightly.
- Mounting your wheels, and make sure to do a 500-kilometer brake break-in before braking hard.
To find more tips on the Chevrolet Bolt, take a look at the Chevrolet Bolt category.