In this article we are going to look at a issue that may prove to be unsafe. If you notice any handling or grip problems on your Ford Ranger , it is necessary that you drive attentively and manage it quickly. Our team has written and published this article to help you solve them. First, we’ll quickly look at the principal parts that assure good road handling, then we’ll look at why your Ford Ranger doesn’t hold the road any more, and finally we’ll look at how to solve your grip complications.
What are the main components that assure great road holding and handling on a Ford Ranger?
We begin this content page by quickly explaining the most important parts that will guarantee good road holding for your Ford Ranger. It’s necessary to know that a vehicle’s grip is a science in itself. It will therefore depend on many elements, we will explain down below the most important ones that can be influenced:
- Shock absorbers: The most important parts of your road handling, they perpetually guarantee the contact between the wheels and the road. They absorb all shocks and holes on the road.
- Tyres: They are the ones that will guarantee the grip of your Ford Ranger on the road, the softer they are, the more grip you have, but the faster they get damaged, the harder they are, the less grip you have, but the more resistant they are. Temperature affects their wear. Their size will as well play on grip, the wider they are the more contact with the ground will be important.
- The center of gravity: The higher your car is going to be, the more it will lean in the corners and therefore lose handling, that’s why low profile sports cars grip better than very high 4×4’s
- Wheel Alignment: This adjustment enables you to manage the vertical angle of your car’s wheels, it is therefore important for the grip of your motor vehicle and the wear of your tires. This adjustment is very precise and must be done by specialists.
There are many other parts to consider such as wheelbase, ground clearance, chassis rigidity, weight and aerodynamics…
Why is my Ford Ranger having complications with my car’s handling or grip?
We will now proceed to the component that interests you the most, why my Ford Ranger has handling complications? As we explained earlier, there are quite a lot of components to consider for your car to have a good grip, nevertheless there are few that can evolve over time, most of them are intrinsic to the construction of the automobile, we will find out right away those that can bother your handling and road, and, why:
- As we mentioned earlier, the rubber of the tyres has a fundamental function in the good road holding of your motor vehicle, if your tyres are dead, you may possibly have complications of road holding on wet road at first and when you reach the “cord” even on dry road.
- Dead shock absorbers: If your shock absorbers are dead, your motor vehicle will no longer have the ability to absorb the irregularities of the road effectively and it will often “float”, which will end result in a bad distribution of the masses on the car and shift the centre of gravity of the car. You risk slipping in the bends.
- The risk with a misalignment is that your ground contact area is reduced due to a too open or too closed wheel angle, you will have grip complications.
- A steering issue: Last but not least, the last important part for good road handling is that all the components of your steering must be in good state. The most traditional circumstance is that your stabilizer bar or the silent blocks of your steering triangles are dead. The consequence will be a delay in your changes of direction.
How do you solve the handling complications?
We now proceed to the different solutions to solve your road holding complications on your Ford Ranger .
- Tyres: Nothing could be easier, just change your tyres, make sure to verify them attentively and change them when you get to the visual indicator in the grooves of your tyres. It is generally necessary to count between 100 and 200 euros for a pair of tires.
- Shock absorbers: Ditto, dead shock absorbers have to be changed, if you want to know when to change the shock absorbers of a Ford Ranger, please have a look at our content page on this theme. The price can vary quite a lot, but you will have to count at least 400€
- Wheel alignment: You will have to go to your mechanic to have it solved, it will cost you less than 100€?
- Steering: If you have complications with the handling on Ford Ranger due to your steering, there might be several components involved, in this case you will have to make a whole check-up of these components, the best is to call a specialist.
If you wish more guides on the Ford Ranger, go to our Ford Ranger category.