Today we are going to check out a problem that may prove to be threatening. If you detect any handling or grip problems on your BMW 4 Series , it is necessary that you drive cautiously and handle it fairly quickly. Our team has written this content to help you resolve them. First, we’ll fairly quickly check out the essential elements that assure good road handling, then we’ll check out why your BMW 4 Series doesn’t hold the road any more, and finally we’ll check out how to resolve your grip complications.
What are the main elements that assure great road holding and handling on a BMW 4 Series?
We begin this content page by fairly quickly describing the main elements that will ensure good road holding for your BMW 4 Series. It’s necessary to know that a vehicle’s grip is a science in itself. It will as a result depend on many factors, we will show you below the main ones that can be affected:
- Shock absorbers: The main elements of your road handling, they permanently ensure the contact between the wheels and the road. They absorb all shocks and holes on the road.
- Tyres: They are the ones that will ensure the grip of your BMW 4 Series on the road, the softer they are, the more grip you have, but the faster they get damaged, the harder they are, the less grip you have, but the more resistant they are. Temperature impacts their wear. Their size will as well play on grip, the wider they are the more contact with the ground will be important.
- The center of gravity: The higher your car is going to be, the more it will lean in the corners and consequently lose handling, that’s why low profile sports vehicles grip better than very high 4×4’s
- Wheel Alignment: This adjustment enables you to manage the vertical angle of your car’s wheels, it is consequently fundamental for the grip of your motor vehicle and the wear of your tires. This adjustment is very particular and must be conducted by professionals.
There are many other elements to take into consideration such as wheelbase, ground clearance, chassis rigidity, weight and aerodynamics…
Why is my BMW 4 Series having complications with my car’s handling or grip?
We will now proceed to the component that concerns you the most, why my BMW 4 Series has handling complications? As we mentioned earlier, there are quite a lot of elements to take into consideration for your car to have a good grip, nevertheless there are few that can evolve with time, most of them are intrinsic to the construction of the car, we will find out right away those that can bother your handling and road, and, why:
- As we described earlier, the rubber of the tyres has a primordial function in the good road holding of your motor vehicle, if your tyres are dead, you might have complications of road holding on wet road at first and when you reach the “cord” even on dry road.
- Dead shock absorbers: If your shock absorbers are dead, your motor vehicle will no longer have the ability to absorb the irregularities of the road effectively and it will often “float”, which will result in a bad distribution of the masses on the car and shift the centre of gravity of the car. You risk slipping in the bends.
- The risk with a misalignment is that your ground contact area is reduced because of a too open or too closed wheel angle, you will have grip complications.
- A steering problem: Last but not least, the last fundamental component for good road handling is that all the elements of your steering must be in good condition. The most classic circumstance is that your stabilizer bar or the silent blocks of your steering triangles are dead. The outcome will be a delay in your changes of way.
How do you resolve the handling complications?
We now proceed to the different solutions to solve your road holding complications on your BMW 4 Series .
- Tyres: Nothing could be less complicated, just change your tyres, make sure to verify them cautiously and change them when you get to the visual indicator in the grooves of your tyres. It is generally necessary to count between 100 and 200 euros for a pair of tires.
- Shock absorbers: Ditto, dead shock absorbers have to be changed, if you want to know when to change the shock absorbers of a BMW 4 Series, please have a check out our content page on this subject. The price can vary quite a lot, but you will have to count at least 400€
- Wheel alignment: You will have to go to your mechanic to have it fixed, it will cost you less than 100€?
- Steering: If you have complications with the handling on BMW 4 Series because of your steering, there may be several elements involved, in such a case you will have to make a complete check-up of these elements, the best is to call a specialist.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the BMW 4 Series, do not hesitate to consult our BMW 4 Series category.