Learning to drive a vehicle is not all the time easy, and often it may seem like a good solution to choose an automatic volvo xc70, whether it’s for very easy convenience or ease of use, this sort of transmission is becoming more and more known. However, while they might seem like a perfect choice, there may possibly as well be complications with the automatic gearboxes of your volvo xc70 . This is exactly the theme of our article. First, we’ll quickly explain the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which complications you may possibly encounter with the gearbox of your volvo xc70 , and, finally, how to fix them.
The different kind of automatic gearbox of a volvo xc70
Gearboxes have the benefit of being known to be reliable, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and everything is electronically and mechanically handled there will be no premature wear of your clutch or other parts that could be put to the test by misuse on your component.
However, based on the sort of automatic transmission your volvo xc70 is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will present them to you now:
- Classic automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will control the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved quite a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized mechanism that will replace the driver’s action. This sort of gearbox is less and less general because they are thought to be very slow. We as well often feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the ultimate automatic transmission, it works on similar concept as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more complications with slow speeds or elevated fuel consumption. They are often fitted on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is similar concept as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are particularly slow and often be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your volvo xc70.
I’m having complications with the automatic transmission on my volvo xc70
We now start the component that surely attracts you the most in this article, what are the complications you may come across with the automatic transmission of your volvo xc70? As explained above, generally speaking they are more reliable than manual transmissions, nevertheless, here are the most important complications you may encounter:
- As mentioned earlier, no matter what sort of automatic gearbox, they are often known to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. However, this phenomenon is designed to appear just when the car is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it comes about all the time, the clutch or converter is almost certainly dead.
- I have the feeling that a gear in the automatic transmission of my volvo xc70 no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the feeling that your gears no longer shift or often jump on your volvo xc70, there is a component that is most likely responsible for this failure. In truth, the solenoid that acts as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be working properly, second option, a speed or engine unit speed sensor may be faulty and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you experience drops coming from the automatic gearbox of your volvo xc70: If you experience a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad info
- My volvo xc70’s automatic transmission is leaking: At last, if your volvo xc70’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most probably one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission complications on a volvo xc70?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the solutions to resolve the automatic transmission complications on your volvo xc70 . Find them below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a volvo xc70: Find the origin of the leak, and replace the concerned gasket, get it achieved by a professional, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, especially for the labour. Do not hesitate to read our article on gearbox oil leaks on volvo xc70.
- Sensor issue: No matter which sensor is concerned, a replacement is the just remedy, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros depending on the difficulty of access to the one that concerns you.
- Couplings: If you have complications with the couplings on your volvo xc70, you will only need to do a complete gearbox replace to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my volvo xc70 slips: In this instance, you clearly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to replace the clutch, and on some models you won’t have the ability to replace it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission complications on volvo xc70, such as electronic problems or pressure complications, but this list lists the most important ones, whatever the case, for such complex mechanisms. Once you feel a problem on this level, we suggest you to go quickly to your mechanic.
If you want more guides on the volvo xc70, go to our volvo xc70 category.