Learning to drive a vehicle is not all the time unproblematic, and often it may seem like a good solution to choose an automatic Toyota 86, whether it’s for simple convenience or ease of use, this sort of transmission is becoming more and more common. However, while they might seem like an excellent choice, there may as well be complications with the automatic gearboxes of your Toyota 86 . This is exactly the theme of our content page. First, we’ll quickly show you the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which complications you may face with the gearbox of your Toyota 86 , and, at last, how to resolve them.
The different types of automatic gearbox of a Toyota 86
Gearboxes have the benefit of being known to be solid, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and everything is electronically and mechanically controlled there will be no premature wear of your clutch or other elements that could be put to the test by misuse on your component.
However, based on the sort of automatic transmission your Toyota 86 is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will present them to you now:
- Classic automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will manage the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved quite a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized system that will replace the driver’s action. This sort of gearbox is less and less general because they are thought to be very slow. We as well often feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the greatest automatic transmission, it functions on the same principle as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more complications with slow speeds or increased fuel consumption. They are often fitted on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is the same theory as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are especially slow and tend to be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Toyota 86.
I’m having complications with the automatic transmission on my Toyota 86
We now begin the component that absolutely attracts you the most in this post, what are the complications you may face with the automatic transmission of your Toyota 86? As revealed above, in general they are more reliable than manual transmissions, nevertheless, here are the most important complications you may face:
- As revealed above, no matter what sort of automatic gearbox, they are often established to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. However, this phenomenon is supposed to happen only when the car is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it occurs all the time, the clutch or converter is probably dead.
- I have the impression that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Toyota 86 no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the impression that your gears no longer shift or tend to jump on your Toyota 86, there is a component that is most certainly responsible for this failure. In actual fact, the solenoid that works as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be functioning properly, second option, a speed or engine unit speed sensor may be defective and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you experience drops originating from the automatic gearbox of your Toyota 86: If you experience a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad information
- My Toyota 86’s automatic transmission is leaking: Finally, if your Toyota 86’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most probably one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission complications on a Toyota 86?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the solutions to correct the automatic transmission complications on your Toyota 86 . Find them down below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Toyota 86: Locate the origin of the leak, and replace the concerned gasket, get it done by a professional, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, especially for the labour. Do not think twice to read our content page on gearbox oil leaks on Toyota 86.
- Sensor problem: No matter which sensor is concerned, a replacement is the only remedy, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros depending on the difficulty of access to the one that worries you.
- Couplings: If you have complications with the couplings on your Toyota 86, you will only need to do a whole gearbox change to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Toyota 86 slips: In this instance, you most certainly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to change the clutch, and on some models you won’t have the ability to change it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission complications on Toyota 86, such as electronic problems or pressure complications, but this list lists the most important ones, whatever the case, for such complex mechanisms. As soon as you feel a problem on this level, we suggest you to go quickly to your mechanic.
Whenever you have any further questions about the Toyota 86, do not hesitate to consult our Toyota 86 category.