Learning to drive a car is not all the time unproblematic, and sometimes it may seem like a good solution to choose an automatic Renault Grand Espace, if it’s for basic comfort or ease of use, this kind of transmission is becoming more and more prevailing. However, although they may seem like an ideal solution, there might as well be complications with the automatic gearboxes of your Renault Grand Espace . This is exactly the topic of our content. First, we’ll briefly describe the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which complications you might face with the gearbox of your Renault Grand Espace , and, at last, how to solve them.
The different sort of automatic gearbox of a Renault Grand Espace
Gearboxes have the benefit of being known to be reliable, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and every thing is electronically and mechanically handled there will be no premature wear of your clutch or other elements that could be put to the test by misuse on your component.
However, depending on the kind of automatic transmission your Renault Grand Espace is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will expose them to you now:
- Classic automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will control the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved quite a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized system that will replace the driver’s action. This kind of gearbox is less and less common because they are viewed as very slow. We as well generally feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the greatest automatic transmission, it functions on the same principle as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more complications with slow speeds or increased fuel consumption. They are often fitted on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is the same concept as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are particularly slow and tend to be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Renault Grand Espace.
I’m having complications with the automatic transmission on my Renault Grand Espace
We now start the component that definitely attracts you the most in this post, what are the complications you may come across with the automatic transmission of your Renault Grand Espace? As outlined earlier, in general they are more reliable than manual transmissions, nevertheless, here are the main complications you may face:
- As explained earlier, no matter what kind of automatic gearbox, they are generally established to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. However, this phenomenon is supposed to happen just when the vehicle is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it happens all the time, the clutch or converter is most certainly dead.
- I have the impression that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Renault Grand Espace no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the impression that your gears no longer shift or tend to jump on your Renault Grand Espace, there is a component that is undoubtedly to blame for this failure. In actual fact, the solenoid that works as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be working effectively, second option, a speed or engine unit speed sensor may be faulty and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you experience drops originating from the automatic gearbox of your Renault Grand Espace: If you experience a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad info
- My Renault Grand Espace’s automatic transmission is leaking: At last, if your Renault Grand Espace’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most probably one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission complications on a Renault Grand Espace?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the techniques to correct the automatic transmission complications on your Renault Grand Espace . Find them just below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Renault Grand Espace: Find the origin of the leak, and replace the concerned gasket, get it conducted by a professional, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, specifically for the labour. Do not think twice to read our content on gearbox oil leaks on Renault Grand Espace.
- Sensor problem: No matter which sensor is involved, a replacement is the just remedy, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros according to the difficulty of access to the one that concerns you.
- Couplings: If you have complications with the couplings on your Renault Grand Espace, you will only need to do a whole gearbox change to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Renault Grand Espace slips: In this instance, you clearly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to change the clutch, and on some models you won’t have the ability to change it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission complications on Renault Grand Espace, such as electronic problems or pressure complications, but this list lists the main ones, whatever the case, for such complex mechanisms. As soon as you feel a problem on this level, we recommend you to go fairly quickly to your mechanic.
To discover more tips on the Renault Grand Espace, take a look at the Renault Grand Espace category.