Learning to drive a vehicle is not all the time unproblematic, and occasionally it may seem like a good solution to select an automatic Peugeot 2008, if it’s for basic comfort or ease of use, this kind of transmission is becoming more and more prevailing. However, while they may seem like the best choice, there may possibly as well be problems with the automatic gearboxes of your Peugeot 2008 . This is exactly the theme of our content page. First, we’ll briefly show you the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which problems you may possibly face with the gearbox of your Peugeot 2008 , and, at last, how to solve them.
The different types of automatic gearbox of a Peugeot 2008
Gearboxes have the advantage of being reputed to be solid, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and every thing is electronically and mechanically handled there will be no premature wear of your clutch or other components that could be put to the test by misuse on your component.
However, depending on the kind of automatic transmission your Peugeot 2008 is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will introduce them to you now:
- Classic automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will control the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved quite a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized system that will replace the driver’s action. This kind of gearbox is less and less general because they are viewed as very slow. We as well generally feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the ultimate automatic transmission, it works on the same principle as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more problems with slow speeds or increased fuel consumption. They are often fitted on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is the same theory as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are especially slow and tend to be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Peugeot 2008.
I’m having problems with the automatic transmission on my Peugeot 2008
We now begin the component that definitely attracts you the most in this article, what are the problems you may encounter with the automatic transmission of your Peugeot 2008? As mentioned above, in general they are more reliable than manual transmissions, nevertheless, here are the most important problems you may face:
- As mentioned earlier, no matter what kind of automatic gearbox, they are generally known to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. However, this phenomenon is designed to happen just when the car is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it comes about all the time, the clutch or converter is almost certainly dead.
- I have the impression that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Peugeot 2008 no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the impression that your gears no longer shift or tend to jump on your Peugeot 2008, there is a component that is most certainly responsible for this failure. Obviously, the solenoid that acts as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be working effectively, second option, a speed or engine unit speed sensor may be faulty and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you feel drops coming from the automatic gearbox of your Peugeot 2008: If you feel a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad information
- My Peugeot 2008’s automatic transmission is leaking: Finally, if your Peugeot 2008’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most likely one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission problems on a Peugeot 2008?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the techniques to fix the automatic transmission problems on your Peugeot 2008 . Find them down below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Peugeot 2008: Find the source of the leak, and replace the concerned gasket, get it done by a specialist, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, especially for the labour. Do not hesitate to read our content page on gearbox oil leaks on Peugeot 2008.
- Sensor issue: No matter which sensor is involved, a replacement is the just solution, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros according to the difficulty of access to the one that worries you.
- Couplings: If you have problems with the couplings on your Peugeot 2008, you will only need to do a complete gearbox replace to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Peugeot 2008 slips: In this instance, you clearly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to replace the clutch, and on some models you won’t be able to replace it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission problems on Peugeot 2008, such as electronic problems or pressure problems, but this list lists the most important ones, whatever the case, for such difficult mechanisms. Once you feel a problem on this level, we suggest you to go fairly quickly to your mechanic.
If you want more tutorials on the Peugeot 2008, go to our Peugeot 2008 category.