Learning to drive a vehicle is not always easy, and occasionally it may seem like a good solution to select an automatic Lincoln MKZ, if it’s for basic comfort or ease of use, this kind of transmission is becoming more and more wide-spread. Nevertheless, while they may seem like a perfect choice, there may as well be problems with the automatic gearboxes of your Lincoln MKZ . This is exactly the topic of our content. First, we’ll quickly describe the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which problems you may come across with the gearbox of your Lincoln MKZ , and, at last, how to fix them.
The different kind of automatic gearbox of a Lincoln MKZ
Gearboxes have the benefit of being reputed to be reliable, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and everything is electronically and mechanically controlled there will be no early wear of your clutch or other elements that could be put to the test by misuse on your part.
Nevertheless, depending on the kind of automatic transmission your Lincoln MKZ is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will introduce them to you now:
- Common automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will manage the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized mechanism that will replace the driver’s action. This kind of gearbox is less and less common because they are considered very slow. We as well generally feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the best automatic transmission, it works on the same concept as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more problems with slow speeds or elevated fuel consumption. They are often equipped on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is the same theory as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are particularly slow and often be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Lincoln MKZ.
I’m having problems with the automatic transmission on my Lincoln MKZ
We now begin the part that definitely attracts you the most in this article, what are the problems you may encounter with the automatic transmission of your Lincoln MKZ? As mentioned earlier, in general they are more reliable than manual transmissions, nevertheless, here are the most important problems you may come across:
- As described earlier, no matter what kind of automatic gearbox, they are generally established to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. Nevertheless, this phenomenon is designed to happen just when the vehicle is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it occurs constantly, the clutch or converter is most certainly dead.
- I have the impression that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Lincoln MKZ no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the impression that your gears no longer shift or often jump on your Lincoln MKZ, there is a part that is undoubtedly responsible for this failure. Obviously, the solenoid that acts as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be working properly, second option, a speed or engine speed sensor may be faulty and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you experience drops coming from the automatic gearbox of your Lincoln MKZ: If you experience a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad info
- My Lincoln MKZ’s automatic transmission is leaking: At last, if your Lincoln MKZ’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most probably one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission problems on a Lincoln MKZ?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the techniques to fix the automatic transmission problems on your Lincoln MKZ . Find them just below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Lincoln MKZ: Discover the origin of the leak, and replace the concerned gasket, get it conducted by a specialist, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, specifically for the labour. Do not hesitate to read our content on gearbox oil leaks on Lincoln MKZ.
- Sensor issue: No matter which sensor is involved, a replacement is the just remedy, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros depending on the difficulty of access to the one that worries you.
- Couplings: If you have problems with the couplings on your Lincoln MKZ, you will only need to do a complete gearbox replace to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Lincoln MKZ slips: In this case, you most certainly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to replace the clutch, and on some models you won’t be able to replace it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission problems on Lincoln MKZ, such as electronic problems or pressure problems, but this list lists the most important ones, whatever the case, for such difficult mechanisms. When you feel a problem on this level, we suggest you to go quickly to your mechanic.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Lincoln MKZ, do not hesitate to consult our Lincoln MKZ category.