Learning to drive a vehicle is not always unproblematic, and sometimes it may seem like a good solution to choose an automatic Lexus RX, whether it’s for simple comfort or ease of use, this sort of transmission is becoming more and more prevailing. However, while they might seem like the best choice, there might as well be complications with the automatic gearboxes of your Lexus RX . This is precisely the subject of our article. First, we’ll quickly show you the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which complications you might come across with the gearbox of your Lexus RX , and, finally, how to solve them.
The different types of automatic gearbox of a Lexus RX
Gearboxes have the advantage of being known to be reliable, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and every thing is electronically and mechanically controlled there will be no premature wear of your clutch or other components that could be put to the test by misuse on your part.
However, based on the sort of automatic transmission your Lexus RX is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will expose them to you now:
- Classic automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will manage the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved quite a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized system that will replace the driver’s action. This sort of gearbox is less and less basic because they are viewed as very slow. We as well often feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the best automatic transmission, it works on similar principle as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more complications with slow speeds or increased fuel consumption. They are often equipped on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is similar concept as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are especially slow and often be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Lexus RX.
I’m having complications with the automatic transmission on my Lexus RX
We now start the part that absolutely attracts you the most in this post, what are the complications you may come across with the automatic transmission of your Lexus RX? As described earlier, generally they are more reliable than manual transmissions, however, here are the most important complications you may come across:
- As revealed above, no matter what sort of automatic gearbox, they are often established to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. However, this phenomenon is designed to occur just when the car is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it happens all the time, the clutch or converter is most likely dead.
- I have the feeling that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Lexus RX no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the feeling that your gears no longer shift or often jump on your Lexus RX, there is a part that is most certainly to blame for this failure. In truth, the solenoid that acts as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be functioning properly, second option, a speed or engine unit speed sensor may be defective and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you feel drops caused by the automatic gearbox of your Lexus RX: If you feel a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad information
- My Lexus RX’s automatic transmission is leaking: At last, if your Lexus RX’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most likely one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission complications on a Lexus RX?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the methods to correct the automatic transmission complications on your Lexus RX . Find them down below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Lexus RX: Locate the origin of the leak, and replace the concerned gasket, get it achieved by a professional, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, specifically for the labour. Do not hesitate to read our article on gearbox oil leaks on Lexus RX.
- Sensor issue: No matter which sensor is concerned, a replacement is the just remedy, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros dependent on the difficulty of access to the one that worries you.
- Couplings: If you have complications with the couplings on your Lexus RX, you will only need to do a complete gearbox change to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Lexus RX slips: In this instance, you clearly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to change the clutch, and on some models you won’t be able to change it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission complications on Lexus RX, such as electronic problems or pressure complications, but this list lists the most important ones, whatever the case, for such difficult mechanisms. As soon as you feel a problem on this level, we recommend you to go fairly quickly to your mechanic.
To find more tips on the Lexus RX, take a look at the Lexus RX category.