Learning to drive a vehicle is not all the time easy, and sometimes it may seem like a good solution to select an automatic Kia Picanto 3, if it’s for basic convenience or ease of use, this type of transmission is becoming more and more wide-spread. Nevertheless, while they might seem like the best solution, there might as well be problems with the automatic gearboxes of your Kia Picanto 3 . This is precisely the theme of our article. First, we’ll quickly explain the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which problems you might come across with the gearbox of your Kia Picanto 3 , and, finally, how to fix them.
The different kind of automatic gearbox of a Kia Picanto 3
Gearboxes have the benefit of being known to be reliable, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and everything is electronically and mechanically handled there will be no early wear of your clutch or other elements that could be put to the test by misuse on your component.
Nevertheless, based on the type of automatic transmission your Kia Picanto 3 is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will expose them to you now:
- Classic automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will manage the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized mechanism that will replace the driver’s action. This type of gearbox is less and less general because they are viewed as very slow. We as well often feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the best automatic transmission, it works on the same concept as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more problems with slow speeds or elevated fuel consumption. They are often fitted on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is the same theory as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are especially slow and tend to be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Kia Picanto 3.
I’m having problems with the automatic transmission on my Kia Picanto 3
We now start the component that surely attracts you the most in this article, what are the problems you may face with the automatic transmission of your Kia Picanto 3? As explained above, generally speaking they are more reliable than manual transmissions, however, here are the main problems you may come across:
- As revealed over, no matter what type of automatic gearbox, they are often known to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. Nevertheless, this phenomenon is supposed to appear only when the vehicle is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it occurs constantly, the clutch or converter is most likely dead.
- I have the feeling that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Kia Picanto 3 no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the feeling that your gears no longer shift or tend to jump on your Kia Picanto 3, there is a component that is most likely to blame for this failure. Obviously, the solenoid that acts as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be working effectively, second option, a speed or engine speed sensor may be defective and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you feel drops coming from the automatic gearbox of your Kia Picanto 3: If you feel a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad info
- My Kia Picanto 3’s automatic transmission is leaking: Finally, if your Kia Picanto 3’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most likely one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission problems on a Kia Picanto 3?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the solutions to fix the automatic transmission problems on your Kia Picanto 3 . Find them down below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Kia Picanto 3: Discover the origin of the leak, and replace the concerned gasket, get it conducted by a specialist, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, specifically for the labour. Do not hesitate to read our article on gearbox oil leaks on Kia Picanto 3.
- Sensor issue: No matter which sensor is involved, a replacement is the only solution, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros according to the difficulty of access to the one that worries you.
- Couplings: If you have problems with the couplings on your Kia Picanto 3, you will only need to do a complete gearbox change to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Kia Picanto 3 slips: In such a case, you most certainly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to change the clutch, and on some models you won’t have the ability to change it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission problems on Kia Picanto 3, such as electronic problems or pressure problems, but this list lists the main ones, no matter the reason, for such complex mechanisms. Once you feel a problem on this level, we advise you to go quickly to your mechanic.
To find more tips on the Kia Picanto 3, take a look at the Kia Picanto 3 category.