Learning to drive a vehicle is not all the time easy, and sometimes it may seem like a good solution to choose an automatic Infiniti QX70, whether it’s for basic comfort or ease of use, this kind of transmission is becoming more and more wide-spread. Nevertheless, while they might seem like a perfect solution, there may as well be problems with the automatic gearboxes of your Infiniti QX70 . This is exactly the theme of our content. First, we’ll briefly explain the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which problems you may come across with the gearbox of your Infiniti QX70 , and, finally, how to solve them.
The different kind of automatic gearbox of a Infiniti QX70
Gearboxes have the benefit of being known to be reliable, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and everything is electronically and mechanically handled there will be no early wear of your clutch or other parts that could be put to the test by misuse on your part.
Nevertheless, depending on the kind of automatic transmission your Infiniti QX70 is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will introduce them to you now:
- Common automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will manage the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized mechanism that will replace the driver’s action. This kind of gearbox is less and less common because they are considered very slow. We as well often feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the greatest automatic transmission, it works on the same concept as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more problems with slow speeds or elevated fuel consumption. They are often fitted on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is the same theory as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are really slow and often be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Infiniti QX70.
I’m having problems with the automatic transmission on my Infiniti QX70
We now start the part that surely attracts you the most in this article, what are the problems you may encounter with the automatic transmission of your Infiniti QX70? As explained above, in general they are more reliable than manual transmissions, nevertheless, here are the main problems you may come across:
- As explained over, no matter what kind of automatic gearbox, they are often established to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. Nevertheless, this phenomenon is supposed to happen only when the car is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it happens all the time, the clutch or converter is almost certainly dead.
- I have the feeling that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Infiniti QX70 no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the feeling that your gears no longer shift or often jump on your Infiniti QX70, there is a part that is undoubtedly to blame for this failure. Indeed, the solenoid that works as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be working properly, second option, a speed or engine unit speed sensor may be defective and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you experience drops coming from the automatic gearbox of your Infiniti QX70: If you experience a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad information
- My Infiniti QX70’s automatic transmission is leaking: Finally, if your Infiniti QX70’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most likely one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission problems on a Infiniti QX70?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the solutions to resolve the automatic transmission problems on your Infiniti QX70 . Find them down below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Infiniti QX70: Locate the origin of the leak, and replace the concerned gasket, get it done by a professional, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, especially for the labour. Do not hesitate to read our content on gearbox oil leaks on Infiniti QX70.
- Sensor problem: No matter which sensor is concerned, a replacement is the only solution, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros according to the difficulty of access to the one that worries you.
- Couplings: If you have problems with the couplings on your Infiniti QX70, you will only need to do a whole gearbox replace to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Infiniti QX70 slips: In this case, you most certainly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to replace the clutch, and on some models you won’t have the ability to replace it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission problems on Infiniti QX70, such as electronic problems or pressure problems, but this list lists the main ones, in any case, for such difficult mechanisms. Once you feel a problem on this level, we suggest you to go fairly quickly to your mechanic.
If you want more guides on the Infiniti QX70, go to our Infiniti QX70 category.