Learning to drive a vehicle is not all the time unproblematic, and often it may seem like a good solution to select an automatic Hyundai Ioniq, whether it’s for simple convenience or ease of use, this sort of transmission is becoming more and more prevailing. However, while they may seem like a perfect choice, there might also be problems with the automatic gearboxes of your Hyundai Ioniq . This is precisely the subject of our article. First, we’ll briefly show you the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which problems you might encounter with the gearbox of your Hyundai Ioniq , and, finally, how to fix them.
The different sort of automatic gearbox of a Hyundai Ioniq
Gearboxes have the advantage of being reputed to be solid, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and every thing is electronically and mechanically controlled there will be no early wear of your clutch or other elements that could be put to the test by misuse on your part.
However, depending on the sort of automatic transmission your Hyundai Ioniq is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will introduce them to you now:
- Common automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will control the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized mechanism that will replace the driver’s action. This sort of gearbox is less and less common because they are viewed as very slow. We also quite often feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the best automatic transmission, it works on similar concept as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more problems with slow speeds or increased fuel consumption. They are often fitted on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is similar theory as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are particularly slow and often be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Hyundai Ioniq.
I’m having problems with the automatic transmission on my Hyundai Ioniq
We now start the part that surely attracts you the most in this article, what are the problems you may come across with the automatic transmission of your Hyundai Ioniq? As described earlier, in general they are more reliable than manual transmissions, however, here are the main problems you may encounter:
- As mentioned earlier, no matter what sort of automatic gearbox, they are quite often established to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. However, this phenomenon is designed to happen only when the vehicle is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it occurs constantly, the clutch or converter is most certainly dead.
- I have the impression that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Hyundai Ioniq no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the impression that your gears no longer shift or often jump on your Hyundai Ioniq, there is a part that is undoubtedly to blame for this failure. In fact, the solenoid that works as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be functioning effectively, second option, a speed or engine unit speed sensor may be defective and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you feel drops coming from the automatic gearbox of your Hyundai Ioniq: If you feel a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad information
- My Hyundai Ioniq’s automatic transmission is leaking: At last, if your Hyundai Ioniq’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most probably one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission problems on a Hyundai Ioniq?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the methods to resolve the automatic transmission problems on your Hyundai Ioniq . Find them down below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Hyundai Ioniq: Locate the origin of the leak, and replace the concerned gasket, get it done by a specialist, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, especially for the labour. Do not think twice to read our article on gearbox oil leaks on Hyundai Ioniq.
- Sensor problem: No matter which sensor is concerned, a replacement is the only remedy, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros dependent on the difficulty of access to the one that concerns you.
- Couplings: If you have problems with the couplings on your Hyundai Ioniq, you will only need to do a whole gearbox replace to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Hyundai Ioniq slips: In this case, you most certainly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to replace the clutch, and on some models you won’t be able to replace it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission problems on Hyundai Ioniq, such as electronic problems or pressure problems, but this list lists the main ones, no matter the reason, for such difficult mechanisms. Once you feel a problem on this level, we recommend you to go quickly to your mechanic.
To discover more tips on the Hyundai Ioniq, take a look at the Hyundai Ioniq category.